Buyer beware pets supplies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Buyer beware pets supplies

I bought a flea collar for our cat and it killed her in 12 hours. If you have pets do not buy Hartz Products. They are all over hong kong in Pet Shops. I did not wish my cat any ill. I wasj ust trying to keep her flea free.

Colette

Colette

My sympathies for your loss but how do you know for sure it was the collar that caused this? Surely it would of been taken off the market if it was deemed to be dodgy.

Angry Too Soo

Too Soo,Was happy and well. We had her five months. That was the only thing diffrent from her routine. I googled Hartz and kitten deaths and there were thousands of cases like mine.

Sorry for your loss.

deleteduser

I'm sorry for your loss. You must be devastated.

But you have to keep a few things in mind;

I don't think the brand has anything to do with your cat dying, but the active ingredient which caused a reaction with your cat. Any other collar with Tetrachlorvinphos as its main ingredient could have done the same thing. Unless the collar was defective, and there was too much or something.. Maybe you should have it tested?

Also: Anyone with a keyboard and an internet connection can create sites to promote their point of view, and make it look very convincing. I came across the same sort of sites you probably did (like HartzVictims.com) and it looks legit, but just remember, it could have been a freak mistake, or maybe not even related to the collar.

Not that I have any reason to defend Hartz, but I like to see more logical thinking on forums (is that too much to ask? )

I am a cat-lover, and feel devastated for you Colette.

It was recently reported to the US Environmental Protection Agency to BAN all products containing organophosphates (pesticides). This will take sometime, but action should happen (or at least a warning given). Cats particularly vulnerable to pesticides, since they often lack key enzymes for metabolizing the chemicals. Furthermore, cats like to groom which can make poisoning even more possible.

DO NOT BUY ANY CHEMICAL FLEA PRODUCTS FROM THE FOLLOWING BRANDS: Alco, Americare, Beaphar, Double Duty, Ford’s, Freedom Five, Happy Jack, Hartz, Hopkins, Kill-Ko, Protection, Rabon, Riverdale, Sergeant, Unicorn, Vet-Kem, Victory and Zema

Do it at your own risk.

anti flea oil without danger

My mom's vet told her how to make pesticide free anti-flea oil. Buy fresh rosemary and mineral oil. Place in a container together for 24-48 hours. Then apply to pet's coat. You can do safely every week. I know where to get fresh rosemary. But, where do you get plain mineral oil?

Colette

So sorry to hear about that.

Thanks for posting that information.

I'm sorry about your cat, it's pretty hard to lose a pet.
    Just for some information, Hartz is not a very good brand for anything. Google a few dog and cat forums and ask about their products. The flea collars are actually pretty bad. I know of a few people who bought those collars for their cats and even for a rabbit and they either got very sick or died. Ask a vet about flea and tick products, don't trust a pet store clerk here to help you, they just want to sell you something.
    I know I will probably get flamed for this but...don't care..

Collette - that is so awful, I'm am so sorry for you. Thanks for warning the rest of us though. Have you contacted whatever is the HK equivilant of Trading Standards?

In the UK we used the Frontline drops, hopefully we'll be able to get the same thing here.

Jen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast