Skin allergy

Skin allergy

My chihuahuahua (7 years-old) has serious skin allergy, but we couldnt never find out what she is allergic to

She keeps losing hair on her feet and around her stomach, and the skin around these areas becomes red. She has very itchy skin and scratches very few minutes. We have been bringing her to different vets over the past few years but still, the situation did not improve! The allergy is driving her crazy and she couldnt sleep well most of the time.

Does anyone know what I can do to help her feel better? Does natural treatment like aroma therapy work for dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by hklocal
    Does anyone know what I can do to help her feel better? Does natural treatment like aroma therapy work for dogs?
    Highly unlikely that aroma therapy will have any effect on a dog and it may actually aggrevate a skin condition making the dog more uncomfortable. I have heard of accupuncture helping with animal skin conditions though, but suppose this would be something that would only be recommended on an individual basis...

What have your various vets tried in terms of discovering or treating the problem (changes to food/ diet, changes in environmental factors/ to shampoos, anti-inflammatory meds, antihistamines, etc...)? We found that Dr. David of Creature Comforts and East Island Animal Hospital were very helpful when our dog developed a recurring skin rash (allergy related) that resulted in hair loss.
    Last edited by hello_there; 03-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.

We have tried all kinds of treatments suggested by vets - medication, injection, change of food/diet, change of shampoo. We have been taking it to the vet for injection every month in order to make her feel better. I'm looking for alternative treatments that do not involve medication, which is obviously not good for her body.

I have heard of accupuncture, too! Does a vet do that? If not, where should I take my dog for accupuncture?

btw thank you so much for your quick reply hello_there!

I believe these vets (Cosmo Pet Service Center, Dr. Wong, 2530 0101) do acupuncture for dogs:

http://www.cpsc.com.hk

I don't have first hand experience with this vet, so can't comment on how good he is or whether acupuncture is the right solution for your dog, but it seems like you've tried a number of other things so it can't hurt to talk to him.

Last edited by hello_there; 03-06-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Few options available for you.

Re- acupuncture I don't know the cosmo pet vets but there is a vet at Pets central called Dr Ann-si and a vet at the SPCA called Dr Susie who both have good reputations for acupuncture in animals in HK.

Not sure how weel it would work in skin allergies but may be a worth a try.

Has any of the vets ran new insect control treatments with you? A lot of skin allergies come through flea/tick/mosquito or midge bites so some dogs will get good control simply by using good control to restrict the number of bites they are getting.

Have any tried a low allergy food trial for you?
    Sometimes feeding a special veterinary diet exclusively for 1-2 months will solve the skin issues.

You mention a monthly injection - is that a medicine or is that an injection prepared after some allergy skin tests have been run?
    There are a few vets in HK who offer intradermal skin testing that can diagnose the likley cause of the injections and then prepare a set of injections that reduces the skin's sensitivity to the things that they are allergic to.
    Dr David Coyle at Pets Central, Dr Carmel Taylor (can't remember her clinic now) and the SPCA all offer this service and I'm sure there are others as well.

Hope that helps.
    PC_Man

Thanks all!

I think I will try acupuncture first since we have already tried most of the other ways mentioned by you guys. Now that I've to decide which Dr to visit, does anyone have more info? Any successful cases to share?

have u tried a allergy test for your chihuahua? i saw a poster or leaflet of allergy test for pet @ some vet clinic, e.g. tin hau pet hospital

AMC in Mongkok or Mid Levels does it and it is not that great. One of my Dalmatians has had skin allergies for a year with redness of the chest, hair loss, redness of the ears etc. We tried everything and eventually switched to Sensitive Food (Hills). I can upload a pic of the food bag when I get back home if it helps.

You might also want to keep your dog on a strict diet and don't give him/her any table scraps, human food and treats until you can pinpoint the problem.

Last edited by JaredHK; 30-01-2011 at 05:15 PM.

AIP

Dr Carmel Taylor mentioned above is an expert in skin conditions and is usually at the Ark on Wednesdays.

Our dog developed what sounds like an identical skin condition last summer - this was back in the UK and we thought it may be grass allergies, but we never quite found out what caused it, but I can tell you what we treated it with (we had a very good vet in the UK).

First we used topical skin easing and calming lotions, these seemed to reduce the redness somewhat, but didn't clear it up.

We started giving her daily antihistamines, just regular human over the counter ones (in fact most drugs for humans are identical to the ones they use for dogs, just lower the dose).

We also started putting oil of evening primrose (we sometimes used those soluable capsules, other times oil) into her evening food.

Finally we started adding in the vet recommended Royal Canin dry food to her regular stuff.

One, or a combination of those worked in the end.