moving to HKG or not????

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Marcomo, just curious what will you be working as for CX. I really do envy you as you have been chosen to work for a 5 star airline. Good luck in your mission. As having a passion for the airline industry, I hope to join you next year. By the way will you be living in Tung Chung or else where? Tung Chung will be much easier to commute as the airport is just next to this town. I hope you enjoy your time in HKG. Chou

Quote Originally Posted by Marcomo:
    Thank you all for the quick replies,

Today I figured out that some of the Cathay staff at the same office make about 30% more salary then what they offer me, so I need to do some negotiation

My girlfriend has the Thai Nationality, will this be any better in respect of getting a visa?

Again Thanks!
    Are these local or expat staff? There's a very good chance the local staff haven't been offered the $24K housing allowance you have. If they are expat staff there's no base line for comparison of expat salaries/packages - it changes depending on role, when they were transfered (mid 80's v 90's v now), what they had given up etc.

One thing you could consider is reallocating the housing component or what happens if you chose not to spend the full $24k. Others here can chime in advice for the tax implications of housing allowances.

I will be working there as an engineer. And the salary is compared to other expat staff having the same function. I reckon 12.500 HKD is a big difference....

And No I will not miss the Amsterdam Coffeeshops..... seen it and done it all

I guess the only big problem I will have to face is the visa for my girlfriend.

If you choose not to live on HK island you probably wont need that much for housing so you should try and get more salary and less housing. Search some threads about Cathay for more specific advice relating to others in your situation and suggestions on where to live.

Yes I agree, the only way you can negogiate a higher pay is if you can find a place near the airport, the closer the place, the higher your salary will be. Decrease the housing expenses and increase salary and I think you should consider this when negotiating with CX.

Yes. Anyone working at the airport may consider renting a nice apartment at Park Island, which is a modern development close to the airport and conveniently accessible to other parts of Hong Kong. There are lots of units to choose from, many of which with a balcony and seaview. Amenities are self-subsisting and living environment is excellent, with 2 club houses and full facilities, lots of open space, landscaping and greenery. Yet rentals are generally lower than nearby districts, especially Hong Kong island.

Thanks for the advice about the Park Island. It looks great A bit like Sentosa island in singapore.

Are there any good websites where I can search for a rental appartment overthere?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcomo:
    Thanks for the advice about the Park Island. It looks great A bit like Sentosa island in singapore.
    Er, no - not in the slightest! What gave you that idea?

You also have another choice of apartments, check this website, I live here: http://www.caribbeancoast.com.hk/. Great view of airport, great club house facilities, nice sea view......