Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArKay
  • 1 Post By ArKay
  • 1 Post By HKChigger

NET teaching job

Closed Thread

Question NET teaching job

I have scored an interview for a secondary NET position in HK. I don't mind working hard but everything one reads is about how hard a NET works. Are there any NETs out there who can give me a realistic apraisal of the job. I currently teach in Melbourne Australia.

Depends entirely on the school you end up in. The EdB has guidelines re the deployment of NETs but no two NETs are doing the same thing.

Is it an interview with a particular school or is it the initial interview with the EdB? If it's with a particular school ask for contact details for the current NET and email/speak to them about their workload, school culture, weekend/holiday duties, etc. If the school doesn't want to give you their contact details they're probably hiding something.

Also, check out the AllNETS website. I believe there's a list of secondary schools where people have had bad experiences in the past...

One more thing - there are some unhappy NETs out there, but like anything bad news travels faster than good news. I reckon the unhappy NETs are in the minority but it's the bad stories you hear about.

Last edited by ArKay; 10-06-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    TonyDev likes this.

Thank you fo taking the trouble of replying

I agree on the no two schools being alike idea. I have seen schools were the NET is treated like a local teacher and teaching classes all day/lunch time monitor/attending all meetings in Cantonese (With no Cantonese knowledge) etc

On the other hand I have seen NETS that teach one or two lessons a week and are mainly at the school as a resource person to run the English centre and do some other development.

TonyDev likes this.

Thanks, the interview is for the actual job ie with the Education Bureau. I understand you then go into a pool for selection by a local school.

You're right - if you get through the EdB interview your details will be sent to schools who are NET-less. You might find that a few schools contact you...some might want to interview you again themselves, others might be happy to just appoint on the basis of the EdB's file on you.

Good luck at the interview.

TonyDev likes this.