Rent a Pet Scheme Anywhere !!!!

Rent a Pet Scheme Anywhere !!!!

Seriously, I need to know if there is any Rent a Pet kind of service in HK.

We used to live in Tokyo and this service was widely available where you could bring a pet home for the w/end etc.

My objective here is that my daughter is constantly hasseling us to buy her a dog. She really does not realise the responsibility that comes with this and thinks she can cope with it or the maid can help !

She is only 6 and inisists everyday that she wants a puppy.

I thought getting one for a few days and seeing how she copes with it would give us a good idea of whether she can really take the responsibility and is affectionate enough before we proceed to get our own.

It may also turn out that the whole thing will make her realise that here are the -ve aspects like cleaning the poo, taking the dog out for a walk etc.

Help me if you know some place does have the Japan like services.

thanks

Perhaps you can borrow mine?

I've never heard of renting a pet (although many of the hotels in the Kimpton group in the USA allows you to rent a goldfish for your hotel room while you stay there) but I have a very nice, well-behaved little pug dog that you could perhaps borrow...

I have been feeling extremely guilty about bringing him to HK from California, to be honest, because our former home had a huge yard with cats and birds and sun, we lived a block from a great beach with lots of other dogs to play with, and the city parks allowed allow dogs! So, the opportunity to provide him with some different scenery and a little new companionship would be welcome, if only for a weekend.

Also, I have noticed that a LOT of people in HK (adults and children) are extremely afraid of dogs. I realize that there are justifiable reasons for this, but I would like to do anything that I can do to help teach people that not all dogs are feral and dangerous, and that mine, anyway, is very nice and friendly.

Sure, he's not exactly the brightest bulb in the box...but he makes up for it with loads of personality.

Let me know if this option appeals to you, and maybe we can talk about it.

Cali

Might just take you up...even if only for a day at first.

I don't want to take liberties and start with a w/end.

We are brits and funnily have noticed about most people being scared of dogs in HK.

Where abouts do you ive ? We are in the mid-levels area and live in an apt too.

thanks

You can try fostering a pet? The spca has a program

http://www.spca.org.hk/eng/welfare/foster.html

deleteduser

Or get her a hamster. Their life span is short enough that by the time she gets bored of it, it'll be almost time for it to go anyway. If she handles that well, maybe then consider a dog?

Lowlight

Trust me tried the hamster and fish ruote but his little munchkin is not easy to convince.

I told her about the Pug and she has looked at a photo in her Dog book and said she doesn't like the look.

Kids these days....eh ?

Rani

From the website home page....

"Fostering must not be considered as a "rent-a-pet" scheme. If you think you can be a "good foster parent" then we'll be delighted to have you on our list but please consider the following points first."

Based on what I read....not a good idea for a small kid.

Come on folks....more options pleaseeeeeeeeeee.

Well, they ARE a little odd looking...

Katanga, pugs are not exactly the same as dogs - mine isn't anyway - he is rather more of a cat-pig in many ways, and even though I adore my little guy more than life itself, I do know that they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I am still open to the idea, however, even just for an hour or a day, if you want....

sorry, didn't see that.

Thanks folks.

We are going to start with Casli ABC's kind offer.

PS; Cali ABC; seen your mail etc. My wife will be getting in touch with you.

My daughter (who is rather manipulative) is now keen on the offer.

I'll keep this forum updated on just how a 6 year old comes along with someone elses "borrowed pet".

Rani, no need to apologise. Thanks for looking it up. Never know, we might go for it if we are successful with Cali ABC's offer.

thanks