Like Tree30Likes

HK govt announced to allow private mainland Vehicles on our roads WTF!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I flew into Shanghai last year and got picked up at the airport for the 3 hour drive to Hangzhou. We proceeded to travel at great velocity across the dark rainy night on the highway.

About halfway there was a truck on fire (full of recycled cartons crushed in cubes). The driver must have thrown a smoke out the window or something.

After that we nearly crashed into one of those blue farm trucks, one 1 or two cylinder ones driving along the highway. Of course without a light on, probably to save battery life or just didn't have one!

The traffic is getting worse, heaps more cars when I first went in '03.

One highlight earlier in the year was in Hangzhou now the buses stop at crossings. Though I would NEVER walk out in front of one even though this is now regulation. Of course it was because last year many people were killed by out of control buses.

Things won't change in the near future for China unless there is a crackdown but generally that wont happen or ineffective.

dear giant likes this.

Hong Kong is such a funny place. Every time I'm there people bitch and moan about their evil brethren, the 'mainlanders', in one context or another, but happily take all economic benefits of being part of the PRC. Yeah, the driving is horrendous in China but it's not that great in Hong Kong either compared the most western countries.

northern, do you ACTUALLY live in hk? how do you compare driving here? have you done it?

dear giant likes this.

Hong Kong is great to drive in/on...!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernNomad:
    Hong Kong is such a funny place. Every time I'm there people bitch and moan about their evil brethren, the 'mainlanders', in one context or another, but happily take all economic benefits of being part of the PRC. Yeah, the driving is horrendous in China but it's not that great in Hong Kong either compared the most western countries.
    Really, like which ones ?

Not Australia
    Not the UK ( too many people with self centred attitudes ie same as Aus ( Thanks to bogans and chavs )
    Not France ( Paris central can be a challenge/stress due to impatience and very narrow streets, its fine on the Autoroutes and National highways though )
    Not Italy ( its mad everywhere )

I cant comment on the USA, but judging by the instance of road rage related violence that occurs, which doesn't here in Honkers, I prefer driving out here thanks ! It's a million times better than driving in Melbourne/Sydney.

I'll even go so far to nominate Australia and New Zealand as the worst driver cultures of all first world nations and I am from there..

On a positive note, I'll award Germany and Japan as my equal best faves, for road discipline/behaviour. HK is also pretty good, once you get accustomed to it.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-06-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernNomad:
    Are you saying that China does not benefit immensely from HK? Without Hk Shenzhen would have never existed. Where do you think all that capital came from in the early years for FDI? Where do you think so many Chinese exports are shipped out of? Although the relationship is mutually beneficial, HK has been far more the giver than receiver of benefits.

Chinese drivers suck this is true, and don't just drive badly, but outright dangerously. But it has more to do about how that entire country is run, than the simple-mindedness of the mainlanders themselves. All those autos were pushed on people in the name of economic growth, without having proper laws, standards, enforcement, or infrastructure to go with it. In the past it was nearly impossible to get a license plate and at a cost of then thousand yuan or more, then about 8 or 9 years ago the government decided that the auto industry could help them meet growth targets and the plates became almost free! China has now been selling more cars than anywhere now. Even 21 year old females at my company's office there have cars now,. The driving tests in China are time consuming but involve little practical driver training.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I flew into Shanghai last year and got picked up at the airport for the 3 hour drive to Hangzhou.
    Presuming you flew in from Hong Kong, why would you go to Shanghai first and then drive to Hangzhou instead of flying directly into Hangzhou?

The driver standard here is already pretty poor, I think this move can only spell disaster.

dear giant likes this.

fth

HK drivers are in fairness not bad. A bit pushy maybe, perhaps tired at times yes. Remember fatal traffic accidents get reported because they are news not an everyday event. In fairness my moans about people on bikes in the NT area are probably down to the fact that many people here do not have any form of formal road training.

In Spain, they are awful tailgaters, and drink driving until recent crackdowns was a national sport. In Russia beer is considered a soft drink. The Czechs, Italians (especially further south) are even worse.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpinst:
    Are you saying that China does not benefit immensely from HK? Without Hk Shenzhen would have never existed. Where do you think all that capital came from in the early years for FDI? Where do you think so many Chinese exports are shipped out of? Although the relationship is mutually beneficial, HK has been far more the giver than receiver of benefits.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying one port city of China (HK) has helped China more than China has helped HK. Look at where all the factories for the HK business are. Look at all the monetary help HK has received, especially during the 1997 financial crisis. There is no doubt HK has helped China by creating a gateway, but by saying HK is more giving than receiving is a bit foolish, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying one port city of China (HK) has helped China more than China has helped HK. Look at where all the factories for the HK business are. Look at all the monetary help HK has received, especially during the 1997 financial crisis. There is no doubt HK has helped China by creating a gateway, but by saying HK is more giving than receiving is a bit foolish, in my opinion.
    Glad to see the representatives of the government of the People's Republic of China and their supporting local political parties are online and sharing their thoughts with us.
    dear giant likes this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast