Like Tree30Likes

HK govt announced to allow private mainland Vehicles on our roads WTF!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Even now, I regularly have cars not slowing down and keep moving towards me when I try to cross the street with the yield pedestrian lines and signs. They made me run in the same direction the car is moving and I have to then move towards the other side while continually getting "chased" to make it across the street safely...

A crosswalk??? Ha ha ha. I think a crosswalk in China is simply a way for the government to funnel the pedestrian fatalities in a restricted area. Sort of a free-kill zone.

A terrible idea not just because of the congestion and pollution it will add but because the mainland drivers are terrible - I've lived in China and obedience of traffic and road rules is next to nothing traffic lights and zebra crossings are just there for show!!!

Park and Ride is a good idea but why not just keep the P&R on the mainland side and not bother with the cost of issuing permits etc. seems silly to let them drive that little bit closer to then just have to park - no doubt it will be a cost on the taxpayer administrating the whole thing.

so much for having 0 accidents in HK roads...

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    A crosswalk??? Ha ha ha. I think a crosswalk in China is simply a way for the government to funnel the pedestrian fatalities in a restricted area. Sort of a free-kill zone.
    No - they are barcodes for rogue taxis

Has the chaos started yet?
    Posted via Mobile Device

There are shedloads of dual plated LHD cars that live and drive around our neighbourhood. Being located 20 minutes from two vehicle accessed border points, to be expected...

Apart from not using indicators when they change lanes, the mainlanders, generally, drive pretty well while they are in HK. Getting fined by the cops here, tends to work pretty well, as a deterrent.

Also, mainlanders have been driving in HK for decades, it's not a new concept people, and surprises me, that it bother some of you. We live in China, yeah ?

Wait till the borders between Shenzhen/Lowu and HKG are removed entirely, then you will have a decade of adjustment to enjoy...
    I have a sneaking suspicion that most of you would have moved to other nations by then, like quite a few did in 1997 .

We'll be still here though, and I am confident the sky wont fall in, just like the 1st of August 1997... No tanks turned up, just another day...

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-07-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Also, mainlanders have been driving in HK for decades, it's not a new concept people, and surprises me, that it bother some of you. We live in China, yeah ?
    We live in HKSAR not in the Mainland, check your map. It bothers people since the driving cultures (actually culture in general) is so different and allowing even more drivers in HK alone is simply a bad idea.

Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the Peoples Republic of China.

There is no argument about that, unless you just purposely ignore that info.

You do realise that the 99 year lease between the united Kingdom and China, of Hong Kong's foreign occupation, is no longer valid ?

Yes you acknowledge, or no you don't ?

And for the record, having driven in mainland China, in Shen Zhen on many occasions, and from Beijing to Wu Tai Shen, via Shanxi, a 7 hour drive in our company's brand new VW Santana, I think I am experienced enough to comment.

The mainlanders that I have seen drive in my area of Hong Kong, which is located on one of two, of the busiest arterial routes via 2 border crossings, seem to stick within their lane, well behaved in my opinion, minus the lane hopping/splitting that is done across the border. Their driving behaviour is definitely adjusted here, or they cop fines from the HK rozzers, and as most of them are just company paid drivers on $700rmb a month, copping a $320HKD fine isn't appealing, unless their boss in the back seat, pays....

The HK police are the only difference, and if they were ever given control of the roads in the SZSEZ, driving culture will improve, evntually equalising.

Make it a $1500 fine on the spot for lane splitting, and they'll pull their heads in across the border.

The reality is, long term within 2 decades, HKSAR and SZSEZ will combine as one....

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-07-2010 at 10:52 AM.

F.A.O. Skyhook:

So speeding tickets will make our roads safer? Could your line of thinking be more dubious?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    And for the record, having driven in mainland China, in Shen Zhen on many occasions, and from Beijing to Wu Tai Shen, via Shanxi, a 7 hour drive in our company's brand new VW Santana, I think I am experienced enough to comment.
    I am in China several times a month and clock way more hours on the roads than I do on the plane getting there and back. While I do not claim to be an authority on road safety in China, you don't get to discredit my experiences simply because you've driven around a bit.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast