help needed

Closed Thread

help needed

Hi there, I am moving to Hong Kong in April. Two questions as of now: school for kids and housing. I heard that the only American school in HK Island is HKIS in south bay, right? About housing, if my kids go the school I just mentioned, maybe it's a good idea to find something nearby? Will it be too far away from Central, where my office is located? Is it realistic to rent a nice 3+ bedroom apartment/house, around 2000ft, for HK$35000 to $55000? Thanks.

It sounds like repluse Bay is the best place for you to live. Do a search on www.gohome.com.hk for rental prices, but it looks ok to me with the budget you have.
    Commuting to Central is not too bad from Repulse Bay except for the occasional traffic jam during rush hour - it shouldn't take much more than 45 - 50 minutes.

sorry, that should read Repulse Bay....

you could try clearwater bay or sai kung also its better connected and even if your are driving to central does not take more than 25 minutes, by cab around 20 minutes..., local transport 30-36 minutes-mtr/minibus.besides you will get more value for money in terms of space 2000 sqft house for around 20-25000 hkd, the air is fresher and the place is scenic and convenient, lot s of expats here....we had looked at repulse bay too when we moved here but was told by many people that the morning rush hour traffic is pretty bad and there have been landslides during the typhoon season, but im not sure about all this just heresay....but clearwater bay has worked out gr8 for us, there is never any traffic rush or jams, the best would be to go thru a broker preferably one who can speak english well, and would know what you want, we managed to get a two storey house with a roof top and sea view/bay view for only 25k, our agent was a lady called hazel tebbutt she works for prumerica holdings, she is dedicated and excellent and shows you exactly what you want, doesnt waste your time.

Thank you very much elle and tangy13. Your advices are very helpful. I will talk with my agent. The only concern I have for living in clearwater bay is that kids may take too long time to get to school (HKIS), which is located at the southern end of Hong Kong island.

Also have a look at Pok Fu Lam - not far from HKIS and Central.