Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bryant.english

teaching kindergarten

Closed Thread

teaching kindergarten

Hey all

I hope someone can answer these questions for me. I have been looking all around for the answers and cannot find them. It doesn't seem that teaching kindergarten in HK is a 'popular' thing(I can find LOTS of info on working IT in HK but that requires me sell my soul - sorry for those who already have ). Anyways, can anyone tell if there is a 'right' time to apply for KG jobs. I see lots of openings in the assorted English newspapers and such. But when is the best time to apply? I know for NET that you apply in January and you don't work until July. Is it the same for Kindergarten? Or do you apply and two weeks later your working(like here in Taiwan)?

As well, for someone with a degree and two years experience teaching english in Kindergarten, what is the expected wage? Can anyone help me with that?

Well thats it guys, hope you can help me!

Jason

As a KG teacher who had NO degree, only TESOL, and NO experience, only tons of enthusiasm and love for kids, I can tell you you can apply any time and expect to start immediately. I started in November of last year, after a teacher quit, so I don't think there's a 'right' time. Of course, more hiring is done in the summer, but if you see an ad, there is a demand.

I think as a guy (as am I) you will be in demand as I've been told schools really want a male influence in such a female dominated setting. And from experience, the kids will worship you if you like to have fun.

With a degree and two years exp., settle for nothing less than HK18K for sure (full time), some may go into the low 20's.

You say you've teached in Hong Kong without a degree and no experience? I am doing a TEFL course in October and would LOVE to teach in Hong Kong asap... however, like you I've no degree or experience. If there is anything you can tell me to help me realise my dream of teaching over there please help me!

well, for one, it's TAUGHT not "teached"... from the looks of your post, you are not a native English speaker, in which case you will be unlikely to find a job/get a visa. sorry

To teach in a Government Hong Kong kindergarten you should have an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and a TEFL qualification. That said, demand is extremely high and supply low and sometimes an experienced teacher can get in through one of the many agencies..

The reason there is so much demand is simply because:

1.) Most teachers don't want to work in kindergartens.
    2.) Many leave after a few weeks because they either can't hack the workload or simply can't do it! It's really a huge problem!
    3.) @Timklip, if you're getting paid less than 18k and working fulltime as a kindergarten teacher then you need to renegotiate or contact me by PM!
    4.) You will be one of the first teachers, almost certainly the first English teacher the children meet, please take it seriously..

KashunG likes this.

b.e. : its posted 2005.