What to see?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

sorry jimbo... i can agree with you up to a point...

wet markets for fruit and veg (FANTASTIC!)
    wet markets for fresh/live seafood (AWESOME)
    wet markets for meat...not on your life!
    there's no refrigeration for it... exposed to sneezing, wheezing, smoking, flies etc... YIKES!

11+ years in HK... eat 50% chinese food(home cooked)
    50% western (home cooked)
    find the prices quite reasonable!

yesterday for dinner we had:

chinese clear soup ($26~ enough for 6 people)
    rice
    choi sum & mushrooms ($19 bought at supermarket... enough for 6 people)
    sweet and sour pork ($20 total~ enough for 6 people)
    steamed fish with black beans ($20...BOUGHT AT SUPERMARKET~ enought for 4-6 people)
    all in all it came to about $80 for 4-6 people!!! and it was AWESOME!

Make sure you see inside some potential apartments. A very different way of living in many cases.

Hi guys, thanks for the info, appreciate it. As days pass looks more and more likely will get the role and will no doubt be bugging you all for more info... Certainly would not be looking to have a car and currently live in Nottingham, not 'cheap' but nowhere near London prices. Would probably cook a decent amount of the time and certainly not looking to eat 'western' a signifcant amount so can hopefully keep costs down there.

Salary looks good on paper, just need to be able to negotiate a decent expat package on top of that. Probably the biggest obstacle now... So all being well, will be out by the end of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by spork:
    If you keep going to expat places, of course its more expensive.
    Going to "local' places is a lot cheaper. Local doesn't always mean out of the way or any less in quality.

For example.
    I work in Pacific Place (huge expat mall) and yesterday I bought a panini sandwich for $55.
    Today, I went over to the mall connected to PP (Admiralty Centre) and bought a pasta salad & soup for $25.

If you make the effort to walk the extra block to a local place, its definitely cheaper.
    If not, stick to the expat fancy places and get ripped off.
    $55 = £3.80, On that sort of budget for lunch in London I would be looking more towards Benji's rather than a Pret a Manger sandwich.

$25 = £1.70, On that I would be looking at going hungry!

If you keep going to expat places, of course its more expensive.
    Going to "local' places is a lot cheaper. Local doesn't always mean out of the way or any less in quality.
    True - but not always that easy to go local if they don't understand you and you don't understand them and/or you don't know where to go. Many things in HK are cheaper - I think people mentioned travel, eating out, taxes etc. But some things are I think just as expensive (or at least the differential in price is not great enough to compensate for the differential in quality or customer aftercare). Of course, all of these are generalisations and my own point of view. No doubt alot of people will disagree.

For example.
    I work in Pacific Place (huge expat mall) and yesterday I bought a panini sandwich for $55.
    Today, I went over to the mall connected to PP (Admiralty Centre) and bought a pasta salad & soup for $25.

If you make the effort to walk the extra block to a local place, its definitely cheaper.
    If not, stick to the expat fancy places and get ripped off.
    For example, today I had noodles + vegetables at 大家食 in Yaumatei for $15.

It's not that hard to go local. Even in the grocery store, you always have a choice whether you're going to buy more local or Chinese foods or expat import foods. For example, we rarely buy mixed baby green salads here, instead we eat a lot of Chinese greens. Ask around, someone will help you find a local market. You can get by at the local market with no Cantonese (although everyone really appreciates it when you try).

Thanks, certainly a lot to fill my time with, will certainly spend quite a while checking out food costs. Better get this blo*dy job or this trip will go down in history as the biggest waste of time spent in HK. Can't be many people who get a free trip out there and target markets over tourist spots...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2