HK newbie q's

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ignore WPE ... he's turned into the resident troll.

If your company wants you here and is agreeing to pay you what you want, AND can proove to immigration that the skills you bring in are not easily available to HK you'll be ok.

Hiten is correct, your gross package is more than 20K (I misread your initial post) so you'll be ok. I've heard that the average package they're looking for is HK$23K.

WPE,

You'll be surprised at how bad the local talent pool can get. We've struggled to find above average english speakers, thanks to Uncle Tung's fatherland oriendted chinese education policies. Multinationals need people who can communicate thoughts, ideas, and concepts effectively to people across the world -- HK cannot offer this in the $20K range.

End of story. Don't get me started on this. (well you have.. but don't let me continue)

... again, many thanks all. You've been great. Haven't found anywhere else that was this helpful (as for trolls... you find 'em everywhere!)

mercedes.
    i just want warn you. Supermoderator is right, but you realy think that the Immigration Department has the same thinking? Esspecially on the low income level the Immi is very strict with the regulation.

sorry for that

wpe

We are a family of two adults and a five yr old. We have been reading all of the advice given to you and are interested in all of your costings. We are in a similar situation to you and were wondering (if not too impolite) what your company are allocating for your rent allowance, and how they came to that figure. We are in negotiations with our company, and wonder what is 'reasonable' rent allowance? Obviously this changes as to where the company are thinking of basing you in HK, but interested to know.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Haircut for a woman is $350 min at a decent salon.
    I pay that now... and i'm a guy!

Lazarus -- Even the mandarin barber shop is cheaper.

my main question would be where are you moving from?

If US you might want to clarify the tax thing...your co may pay HK's taxes, but if you're a US citizen working abroad you still have to pay US income tax. (wonderful!) comapny's don't usually pay that also...their goal is to make you whole, not necessarily to have you benefit from the move.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Lazarus -- Even the mandarin barber shop is cheaper.
    my putonghua ain't good... don't wanna ask them for a trim, end up with a shave ya know! $350 buck ain't anything those days.

Err .. the barber shop at the Mandarin Oriental in Central.