Old thread, but I was looking for that info.
And all is here:
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

If you are chinese, it seems you can not lose your ROA.
If you are not Chinese, you will lose your ROA ifyou get out of Hong Kong for more than 3 years, but you'll get the Right to Land, which still allows you to live, study or work in Hong Kong.