what level of a salary should i expect?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sino Defender:
    but in the states, i pay so much tax and i'll get lonely when she is gone. after tax, i suspect i will be paid roughly the same in both places. and what matters the most is not the pay but where i can find happiness. it all depends on the people.

Not sure if you're a US citizen or green card holder but if you are then you will still have to pay taxes above the US$80-some-k level.

If you work for a company where there is a possibility of a transfer to HK in the future then why on earth do you want to quit and do a degree that likely won't help you in any way and actually put you back in your aim of working in HK? I don't understand that at all.

You've admitted you're just thinking of doing the degree because "well, I might aswell" - seems a bit of a flimsy reason to me. Why not stick with your current company for another year, and when the time comes that your girlfriend goes home to HK and you want to follow, then put in for a transfer to HK? If you do a good job and the bosses like you then you may well have a good chance (especially if you're working for the Fund in Boston that I'm thinking of) of getting that transfer. Just seems pointless doing another qualification when instead you could be getting another year's work experience and the chance to get a transfer along with maybe a nice ex-pat package too.

And by the way, I hope your girlfriend doesn't read this website after you just said she isn't pretty and you've had better looking girlfriends in the past!! You may well be coming to HK on your own!

Last edited by JonnyC; 24-08-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyC:
    If you work for a company where there is a possibility of a transfer to HK in the future then why on earth do you want to quit and do a degree that likely won't help you in any way and actually put you back in your aim of working in HK? I don't understand that at all.

You've admitted you're just thinking of doing the degree because "well, I might aswell" - seems a bit of a flimsy reason to me. Why not stick with your current company for another year, and when the time comes that your girlfriend goes home to HK and you want to follow, then put in for a transfer to HK? If you do a good job and the bosses like you then you may well have a good chance (especially if you're working for the Fund in Boston that I'm thinking of) of getting that transfer. Just seems pointless doing another qualification when instead you could be getting another year's work experience and the chance to get a transfer along with maybe a nice ex-pat package too.

And by the way, I hope your girlfriend doesn't read this website after you just said she isn't pretty and you've had better looking girlfriends in the past!! You may well be coming to HK on your own!
    appearance isn't my priority when choosing a life-time companion.
    this is like a man thing. you just cannot stand her having a higher education than you. you can disagree, but that's how i feel.

appearance isn't my priority when choosing a life-time companion.
    this is like a man thing. you just cannot stand her having a higher education than you. you can disagree, but that's how i feel.
    Ah yes good old sexism, you can't bear it that your gf might be better than you in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ah yes good old sexism, you can't bear it that your gf might be better than you in some ways.
    i am not a sexist, but i do believe that in order to gain respect from your female partner, you do have to have the dominant role in a relationship as a man. that being said, it doesn't mean you are in a position to abuse her or anything close to that. you just have to take a strong lead, and a woman won't bear it when you act like a wuss.

i am not a sexist, but i do believe that in order to gain respect from your female partner, you do have to have the dominant role in a relationship as a man. that being said, it doesn't mean you are in a position to abuse her or anything close to that. you just have to take a strong lead, and a woman won't bear it when you act like a wuss.
    arfff.....

I'm not quite sure how her having a higher degree than you makes you a wuss, but what do I know maybe this is a chinese thing.

Regarding the "gaining respect" thing, let me ask you this? What would you say gains more respect?

1. Having a graduate degree but a low paying, entry level job in HK
    2. Having a batchelor degree but a high paying, ex-pat job in HK (with your current company)

Obviously it's your choice, but I honestly don't see the point of getting a graduate degree (and giving up a job that you want to do later on anyway) if it won't make any difference and is just an ego thing. Of course, if you hate your current company and want to get out then that changes everything

she is not pretty, and i had very attractive mixed and chinese girlfriends
    oh well, there goes your "pogi" points, as we Filipinos call it How can you say your gf is not pretty???

Can't stand having your gf getting a masters without you having one even when you don't need to? That's insecurity best exemplified

The ego thing is usually for the one having a small .....
    okok I am out....

Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl:
    oh well, there goes your "pogi" points, as we Filipinos call it How can you say your gf is not pretty???

Can't stand having your gf getting a masters without you having one even when you don't need to? That's insecurity best exemplified
    you might disagree. yet, i have to make this clear. i am not getting the ma degree for her. tho the fact that she is going to have one makes me wanna get one even more just like all my other friends who are gonna get a ma degree. so, the reason i wanna get a graduate degree is mainly because of the fact that everyone has a ba nowadays. for me to get a ma degree, it only takes a year.

while i am still young, why not get it before everything gets settled?

frankly speaking, i don't even need a job to make a living.

i can guarrantee you a 40 percent return on whatever (but gotta be less than 500 million usd) you give me. if more than 500 milion usd, i can only get you around 15 percent annually.
    i might not have the chance again when i get everything settled in the professional areana.

appearance doesn't equal attraction to me. it used to be tho. i would say she is very attractive to me, but not by appearance.

it's the caring that i like. not the look.
    Last edited by Sino Defender; 25-08-2006 at 08:12 PM.