Vacation ideas for December

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HKF

this is exactly my fear. I did ChiangMai about 12 yrs ago when it was a real backwater gem and off the mass tourist track.

The challenge with CM is going to be, what do you do with a 6yr old. Even all those years ago, I did the night mkt once and that was it.

There are just so many temples one can be bothered to do as well.

If we go, it will probably be to stay at The Chedi or Four Seasons and just chill out there with the kiddie in the pool. Sounds boring ehhh....but I need to chill out.

Been on the web this morning looking at Cairns too.

thanks

With Cairns, I would advise against going there at that time of year. Having lived there and holidayed there recently, it is way too hot for a holiday in December - that is the hottest time of year and it is also very humid. So it is too hot to go outside on the beach and the sun will roast you in no time. Would be hard to keep a 6yo indoors in the air-con.

A great place, but reconsider going to Cairns sometime during March to October.

Cheers

How about Boracay or Palawan in the Philippines?

Wow, I had no idea Sipadan had closed, we went in 2003 for our honeymoon (in December) and it was fabulous. How sad, apparently a barge has destroyed part of the drop-off...gosh what a tragedy. Knew about the people taken hostage, but everyone survived, look on the bright side ey, in any case it's a wonderful place.

In any case, definitely not the place for a six year old tho', sorry must have missed that line! Woopises, my bad. (PDLM, guess I am in your Mark Twain category too!!)

The Shangri-La Rasa Ria resort is fantastic in Sabah, the grounds are quite beautiful, they have all sorts of wonderful animals wandering around, horseriding on the beach, orangutans next door, incredible food. I think it would be great with a six year old. Boracay would be great but the small plane from Manila would be a bit of a trial, especially peak season around Christmas.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hbrand:
    The Shangri-La Rasa Ria resort is fantastic in Sabah, the grounds are quite beautiful, they have all sorts of wonderful animals wandering around, horseriding on the beach, orangutans next door, incredible food.
    If the staff at the Shangri-la is 1/2 as good as the staff at the Kowloon Shangri-la, the 6 year old should have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerblitz:
    How about Boracay or Palawan in the Philippines?
    I'm biased, so I agree

In Cebu, not all hotels are tacky. Depends how much one is willing to pay

There's Shangri-La Mactan, Badian Resort, Pulchra. These are 5-star resorts. The last two, havent been there, but was told they're five star at its finest

as Tigerblitz mentioned - Boracay is one of the best beaches in the world. I convinced my colleague to go there instead of Bali, and she loved it a lot! Best resort is Fridays.

Palawan:

El Nido Resort
    Club Noah Isabelle