Setting up office in Hong Kong

Setting up office in Hong Kong

Dear All,

I'm in discussions with an IT company who want me to set up an ASIAPAC region for them, they are already in estabilished America and Europe.

My wife is from Guangzhou originally we also have family in Hong Kong we have two kids.

We currently live in the UK, but have traveled to Hong Kong at least once a year for the past nine years.

I'm very interested in the steps I would have to take, to gain a work permit and set up offices i.e does the HK goverment look favourable at companies and their employees starting operations in HK and China?

My Kids also attend one the top pre-preps in the UK and are considered to be 2-3 years ahead of their peers, so any thoughts on a good school would be helpful as this would govern where we would live.

Any information would be received with thanks.

Best regards
    Westy

I'll be a bit honest here. I've yet to meet someone schooled locally here in HK, ESF, international school or local school who has displayed signs of intellectual brilliance...

I should also confess that most of the boarding school brats from the UK, with perhaps one exception, have left me fairly unimpressed.

The prep / boarding schools in Asiapac are pretty scary. I've heard and seen kids get corrupted with drugs -- sponsored by the triads.

========
    Back to your question of getting a work permit. If you have an external or a local sponsor with a salary of over HK$20-30K you'll be ok. Obviously you're a transfer.. which makes it even easier.

Dear Knowitall,

Thanks for your swift reply, schooling is a major concern my kids are very well behaved and educated, my eldest is head boy, at present they are taking their O levels at 12/13 and A levels at 15/16

Would we be better to look at smaller schools or private tutor?

I really do not want to waste all the effort we have done to get them to their present level.

Best regards
    Westy

Check University Entry

Actually students from E.S.F. schools have one of the highest entry rates to top universities in North America and the U.K.
    This is a statistical fact.
    The board and its recent undertakings is one thing; the teachers and their commitment to the students is something else.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Westy:
    Dear Knowitall,

Thanks for your swift reply, schooling is a major concern my kids are very well behaved and educated, my eldest is head boy, at present they are taking their O levels at 12/13 and A levels at 15/16

Would we be better to look at smaller schools or private tutor?

I really do not want to waste all the effort we have done to get them to their present level.

Best regards
    Westy

Justin,

Thanks for this

Best regards
    Westy