Like Tree3Likes

Mobile Phones

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I am moving to HK next month from Beijing... I will be there indefinitely and want to get an iPhone or Blackberry. What companies offer contracts (in US it would be AT&T, T-Mobile ect) and how much am I looking at for a phone and a plan?

Any of the mobile phone companies. Offers change all the time and depend on what phone you want and want features on the plan. There are hundreds of choices (and dozens of previous threads here discussing them).

PDLM
    Thanks for you extremely informative reply. I apologize for mis-posting a question about a mobile phone in the wrong category... oh wait this category is called "Mobile Phones" hmmmmmmmmm silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by beijing1327:
    I apologize for mis-posting a question about a mobile phone in the wrong category... oh wait this category is called "Mobile Phones" hmmmmmmmmm silly me.
    Eh? Where did I say that? (Correct though it is - this whole thread should be in the Mobile Phones forum)

Plans range from around HK$88 per month with a free phone and 1000+ minutes thrown in upwards to whatever you want to spend depending on the services and phone you would like to have. There are numerous providers.

Quote Originally Posted by beijing1327:
    PDLM
    Thanks for you extremely informative reply. I apologize for mis-posting a question about a mobile phone in the wrong category... oh wait this category is called "Mobile Phones" hmmmmmmmmm silly me.
    It is and if you read further in these forums you'll identify all 6 main mobile operators here and then if you look at their websites you'll see all offer Blackberry's and plans (although different models) and the main 3 all offer the iPhone with other operators also offering iPhone plans. These change regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That rather depends - if all you want is a solid phone that makes calls and texts then they cost about HK$250, which is hardly a lot.
    Yes, a basic phone can be cheap as HK$250 ( as subsided mid range and relatively high spec phone is usually free in UK, but cost significantly more even with subsidies in HK), however, nowadays, majority of people used their phones much more than the basic call and text, thus, it's more akin to a multimedia and communication device.

but if as the OP has existing functional phones in AU, no point purchasing a new phone, they should just obtain a cheap and cheerful plan which starts from HK$68 ( or even cheaper)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    nowadays, majority of people used their phones much more than the basic call and text
    Do you have any data to support that assertion?

I only use it for call and text (oh and camera) and none of the people I know use anything else.

Had to laugh at this link:

http://www.physorg.com/news185467439.html

So the population of the world is around 6.8 billion of whom 6 billion have a mobile phone? Must be a lot of babies out there with phones.

Last edited by hullexile; 19-08-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Do you have any data to support that assertion?
    if it was not the case, supply can only derived for it's relative demand, thus, hence, why all mobile phone manufacturers release new ver. of countless of models with support up to date functions, such as facebook, msn intergration, hd video capture, agps, etc.. please note the number of relatively new models for the entry level/low end users is quite small ( example, new phones under 100euro/HK$1000) released by these companies as this market has already reached saturation point, chances, consumer's mobiles in this low end market more than have an average lifespan of more than 4 years.