Like Tree1Likes

Hong Kong history discussion (post your question here!)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Standup Girl:
    Also, I don't think this is a British history question. The school kids in question are kids from HK. This is a colonial history question.
    Also, maybe it's because a lot of the early traders in Hong Kong were Scottish, e.g. Jardine. (They still use a thistle as their emblem).

my only point was that it IS british, specifically Scottish, bagpipes etc... just not ENGLISH.

What would we have to do for it to be "English"? Morris Dancing?

no idea...but it is still, technically at least, british.

That is the problem - there are almost no symbols or activities that are quintessentially "English". We have infused the world with so much of our customs, sports, culture and so on that it is almost impossible to be distinctively English any more.

Jeremy Paxman - The English: A Portrait of a People: Amazon.co.uk: Jeremy Paxman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EPSN1VSJL.@@AMEPARAM@@51EPSN1VSJL

Quite a good book inwhich he tries to answer the question what differentiates the English from the Scots, Welsh and Irish.

That's on my bookshelf from years ago - I guess I should go back and reread it.

same could be said of canada... Lacrosse is supposedly the "national game" but hockey would be more popular by far.

although still part of the commonwealth, the only link we have to the Uk is the governor-general, the Queen's PERSONAL representative, in canada... our military still play the pipes and drums, too!

PS> LOVE the pipes and drums, myself!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That is the problem - there are almost no symbols or activities that are quintessentially "English". We have infused the world with so much of our customs, sports, culture and so on that it is almost impossible to be distinctively English any more.
    Being loud, arrogant, borderline homosexual and crap at football is a good start

At the real version of football we've come first and second in the last two world cups.

Although watching the Aus v NZ game as I type it would need a miracle for us to d that well next year.