How to get a permanent HK ID: are there exceptions to the 7 years rule?

Closed Thread

How to get a permanent HK ID: are there exceptions to the 7 years rule?

Hi! My fiance (USA) lived in HKG from 1993 to 1998 and from 2000 till now. Is there any chance we could get him a permanent residency? If we buy a property, for example? Please could you give me some info on that? Thank you!

Under some very exceptional cases, the immigration department can and will consider your case. Things like .. he was posted overseas by the HK company but continued to maintain some ties with HK (i.e. travelled through HK every month etc).

Don't even think of buying residency .. if you can afford it, I doubt you'd be posting on a website asking for advice.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663

Emigra

hello

Know it all is correct that on special reasons that you can apply, but 2 years is quite a long time for such a claim e.g. sent overseas by the company.

Did he continue to rent property in Hong Kong during those 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Emigra:
    Know it all is correct that on special reasons that you can apply, but 2 years is quite a long time for such a claim e.g. sent overseas by the company.

Did he continue to rent property in Hong Kong during those 2 years?
    just wondering what difference would renting for 2yrs make.

so forget the 6.5Million PR thing. If I work in HK for 7 yrs I can apply for PR? what if I travel out a bit off and on for a wk or 2. sorry im still looking for info on this etc.

so long as YOUR PRIMARY residence is HK you can apply. of course you can go for holiays during that time!

Yes in that respect HK is unlike Australia who I hear count the number of days you have spent away and tack that number on the end.

Yes, there is an exception:

For Philipino domestic helpers it doesn't matter how long they lived in Hong Kong, they can never apply for permanent residency.