drivers license, rego and insurance

Closed Thread

Question drivers license, rego and insurance

Hi there,

I have recently moved to HK, trying to sort out all of the things (house, car etc.).

I signed a rental agreement but don't have it back yet as stamp duty has to be paid. I also paid deposit for a car which I am supposed to transfer ownership for next friday.

I haven't yet applied for direct issue of a HK drivers license as I still need a certified translation of my drivers license.

my questions:

- Do I need a HK drivers license and/or proof of address to apply for third party insurance ? Could I claim to be accident free for a long time in Germany ?
    - Do I need a HK drivers license and/or proof of address to transfer ownership of a car ?
    - How long does it take to get the HK drivers license after putting all the papers in ?
    - any advice on the order in which I should/have to apply for all those documents ?

thx, Nick

I believe you do not require a translation of your license, if it is a German one.

Everything you need to know about drivers licenses..

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

An officially certified translation of your overseas driving licence if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;

are you sure ?

from td.gov.hk (just found that):

"An officially certified translation of your overseas driving licence if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;"

@shri

yes, that's the website I just found. doesn't answer my other questions though, especially whether I can get third party insurance + transfer of ownership without having an HK drivers license, as I assume, I won't get this until friday.

I don't know about the insurance. Contact an insurance broker.

By the way, I'd recommend you contact the HK AA. They arrange the cheapest insurance deals we've found, for their members. Membership is cheap and for us it has more than paid for itself when we've need a tow or a jump start.

Hong Kong Automobile Association

Do you have some proof of no claims in Germany? Perhaps they might accept it and provide some sort of discount? No clue to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflakey:
    are you sure ?

from td.gov.hk (just found that):

"An officially certified translation of your overseas driving licence if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;"
    It certainly worked for me: Got a HKG license issued on the basis of a (non-English) European one (pretty sure it was my German one, although it might have been my French one), without any translation.

Yes, beachball is right. The Transport department has a big book of up to date versions of Drivers licenses. Unless you come from a small and unfamiliar place like Armenia, then the odds are your license is already in their book and requires no translation.

Once you answer the translation question - the other one re time - it takes a week to get the HK licence. You don't need a photo, but you do need HKID (the licence is a combination of the card+HKID).

PS - where are you living to need a car anyway?

Once you answer the translation question - the other one re time - it takes a week to get the HK licence. You don't need a photo, but you do need HKID (the licence is a combination of the card+HKID).

PS - where are you living to need a car anyway?