is it necessary?

Closed Thread

is it necessary?

hello, i have the dependent visa sticker in my passport, is it necessary to carry my passport around in hk? in case the police check, that is. coz' if i lose the passport, it will be a hassle to apply for passport and the dependent visa...
    any practical solution to this?

Not necessary to carry your passport around. Make photocopy of the visa page and the front page where it shows your picture and details.

thanks

ace, thank you very much for your suggestion.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Reei, it's the HK ID card which you need to have on you always, assuming you're old enough for one.

thanks hkfella, i thought i can only get the hkid after staying in hk for 7 years. isn't that so?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Reei

First thing Monday get down to Immigration and apply for an identity card. You are required to have an IC if you are not here as a tourist, no exceptions.

thanks kombuchakid

thanks for that, kombuchakid, will go to immigration department, but not on monday, in melbourne right now. will do that as soon as i arrive in hk in july.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by reei:
    thanks hkfella, i thought i can only get the hkid after staying in hk for 7 years. isn't that so?
    Reei, it says on HK Immigration website: "Every person aged 11 and above who enters and is permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply to register [for HKID card] within 30 days of arrival".

Try this for info: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq.htm#1

After 7 yrs stay one can apply for permanent resident status (and permanent HKID card that goes with it). Do not confuse this with the rule above.