Like Tree1Likes

problematic domestic helper employment agency - help!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

problematic domestic helper employment agency - help!

Hello,

We paid 3900 HKD to a FDH employment agency and after 6 weeks of waiting our PH domestic helper arrives this morning. We get a call from the DH from the airport inquiring how she can reach our place. First, this is surprising given that the fee was inclusive of her airport pick up. Second, the agency called that we need to pony up another 1000 HKD for her insurance. The itemization of 3900 HKD clearly states that medicare is included and during communications the last 6 weeks we repeatedly asked and were told that insurance is included. We are fed up with this employment agency who is eager to take the money from us but doesn't provide transparent information or withholds information. We feel that we were misled and given false information.

Can anyone tell me where can this be reported? Is there a consumer council or a government department who can investigate why this employment agency is providing mis-leading information?

Thank you.

The agency needs to be accredited through the Philippines Consulate General, so you could try talking to them. Their website lists various contact numbers and emails - I guess you need the one for "Employment Contracts".

I only have a sample of two agencies but in neither case was airport pick up included, do you have that in writing? Similarly HK insurance was not included. However, that is only two so yours could be completely different. Which agency?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I only have a sample of two agencies but in neither case was airport pick up included, do you have that in writing? Similarly HK insurance was not included. However, that is only two so yours could be completely different. Which agency?
    Yes, we have the airport pick up in writing as well as the medicare. But now the agency says that medicare was for PH not HK. This doesn't make sense. They wrote that this price is an all inclusive package and they itemized the costs but now they are saying a different story. Plus, before the DH left, they told her that she needs to pay the agency an additional 1200 HKD (not sure for what). We are wondering now whether the DH and the agency is in cahoots and whether this is a way for the DH to recover some of the money she has to pay the agency.

The medical thing could have been a misunderstanding because there is a medical examination in the Phils. However, the demand that the DH pays additional money is not legal (although apparently common) and you can report this if nothing else. On the insurance thing, you could argue that as you had to pay for the airport pickup, which is in the contract you signed, then the two cancel each other out. Make sure you have the insurance though because it is a legal requirement.

Contact the consulate as PDLM suggested (though they may be a little busy at the moment!)

Last edited by hullexile; 26-08-2010 at 03:14 PM.

You can also report the agency to the Employment Agencies Administration (EAA) who license agencies in HK - Labour Department - Employment Services

It is illegal for agencies in HK to charge the helper more than 10% of their first month's salary (and it can only be charged after the helper has received that first month's salary). In the Philippines, it is illegal for an agency to charge any placement fees (other than for training) - although sadly most do. I think it probably unlikely that the helper and agency are in cahoots and that this is just another example of an agency ripping off the helper - and you. It sounds like they might be charging you both for certain expenses, eg medical checks, airfares etc (these should be paid by the employer).

I hope it works out with your new helper and that you can take some action against the agency.

Thank you for the information on where to report. The agency is saying that we need to pay another 2000 HKD to buy her health insurance. Can this be? Where can we buy her health insurance directly without going through agency?

Yes, helper has showed us receipt of medicare and other expenses that were paid in the PH. She had to pay an additional 1500 PH Pesos for her medical tests too.

What frustrates me is that the employment agency is a professional entity and processing thousands of transactions and they are not transparent about costs and requirements. If I could have navigated it myself, I would have but we outsourced it to them with the understanding that they would provide the relevant guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by cilantro:
    Thank you for the information on where to report. The agency is saying that we need to pay another 2000 HKD to buy her health insurance. Can this be? Where can we buy her health insurance directly without going through agency?

Yes, helper has showed us receipt of medicare and other expenses that were paid in the PH. She had to pay an additional 1500 PH Pesos for her medical tests too.

What frustrates me is that the employment agency is a professional entity and processing thousands of transactions and they are not transparent about costs and requirements. If I could have navigated it myself, I would have but we outsourced it to them with the understanding that they would provide the relevant guidance.
    The HK$2000 for health insurance is a joke. You can easily buy it yourself for much less, try google.

The extra she had to pay for the medical was probably a scam in the Philippines rather than the agent. They tried that one on us, kept failing her obviously expecting us to pay. I refused and complained to the agent and then magically when she went back they said she had passed without any further tests.

Your bank will sell you helper insurance for substantially less than HK$2000/year. You are being scammed.

Some typical cost of helper insurance is, (normally includes the statutory Employee Compensation Levy (EC) as well as medical,dental,personal accident,liability and other misc covers):
    AXA General - approx $630 per helper,per year (this one highly recommended personally)
    Chartis ( formally AIU ) approx $680 per helper,per year.
    Other HK insurers include Blue Cross, HSBC, Tokio Marine & ING.

All of the above plans will include the levy and annual premium will substantially less than HK$2,000.
    Suggest you contact a good broker who can explain the coverage in detail and advise the best benefit levels right now. As i say, last time i looked a few months ago, the best overall was AXA ( although they didn't cover cancer treatment under the medical coverage).
    This all may have changed as the insurers regularly upgrade their products to stay ahead of the competition.

Last edited by HKLozzo; 26-08-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast