Like Tree1Likes

assulted by shop owner

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry assulted by shop owner

i wanted to get some pictures printed in Central +so came across the shop at 44 Stanley Street. i asked them to print one 5R picture from a thumb drive i had.
    they said it cost $28 (even though said $10 on price list) but after a day of house hunting i just agreed and paid.
    One hour later when i went back to collect the picture it was very blurry +they had chopped part of the picture off. I told them it was unacceptable and i'd like a refund.
    The owner suddenly went BALLISTIC! he pushed my handbag off the counter -spilling everything over the floor, and shoved my face screaming "YOU STUPID FUCKING TOURIST! ITS ONLY$28, GO AWAY!"
    i started screaming as i was in complete shock. no-one helped, every-one just left the shop. As i bent down to pick up my things the guy kicked my stuff and continued shouting at me. "Why you stupid people argue with me about money!" fyi, all i said was the print was unacceptable and i wanted a refund!
    I immediately called the police. Then his assistant started also screaming at me +i got very scared. I was the only one female in the shop +the two chinnese male sales assistants. I told him, if you wont give me the refund, give me the picture +a receipt back. he threw the now cumpled picture at my face+i grabbed the receipt off the table and ran out the shop, fearing for my life!!!!!
    I called the police but they dont seem to care! I told them i want a copy of the cctv image so i can prove they assulted me physically +verbally and the police said they would talk to them +call me back. That was 3hours ago and still nothing ;-(
    i'm sitting in my hotel, still shaking and really upset. i'm considering moving here but if this is how HK is i really am re-thinking my plans.
    What is my legal advise? i am scared that this man may do something worse to the next innocent lone female who enters.
    i am so upset this happened.
    please can some-one advise what i can do........

Go to the nearest police station and report it face to face. Surprised the police have not been back in contact they are usually very efficient here.

The problem is that these complaints are always posted by people who have joined Geo just for this sole purpose, so we have no way of judging their credibility. This seems to happen all the time.

This one could have been written by the owner of a competing photo shop, for instance, or someone with a grudge. Because they have no posting history, we have no way of knowing.

Last edited by bookblogger; 06-09-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    m4nn likes this.

id be shocked to see this sort of thing in HK

I know that shop well and never had a problem with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

What number did you call to call the police?
    If you called Emergency, then they would have come straight away. (what is that number anyway?)
    If you called the local stations number, how did you know that?

If you are genuine, go back to the shop and tell the owner you want a refund.
    If he tries anything, walk outside and call the police.
    Tell them you need help immediately.

Although, I have NEVER had a shop owner swear at me in English.
    They always swear in Cantonese.

>> what is that number anyway

The OPs IP address does belong to a Hostel.. but I have a feeling this is a lot more than meets the eye with this thread. Might just have it deleted later...

touristhk - are u Filipino by any chance?

OP - I'll take you at your word for now because the story sounds too bizarre to be a lie. Calm down. You were just unlucky. Try calling the police again or going directly to the police station and reporting the incident. HK is NOT like this normally. NOT at all. You were just really unlucky. Perhaps the shop owner had been having a really bad experience all day and just took it out on you - these things happen.

Tigersun - i have no intention of going back, im not suicidal!
    movingin07 - thank you for yr kind words
    shri - no im British, i called 999 and it was taking AGES before the police came so i left as i was scared. they called me when they reached the shop then said they would call me back, still they have not.also, FYI im not staying in a "HOSTEL" but serviced apartments, if your going to IP snoop, then pls do it correctly.
    no i am not from another shop but a genuinely worried tourist and hoped id get some sound advise from local expats on this forum.
    Guess i should have known better than to think that any-one would really give a hoot other than themselves, seems to me HK is full of people like that. why do people bother reading-writing on the forum if they are so sceptical and only think that every-one here is scamming. how very synical.... ;-(
    anyway, i spoke to a friend on the phone about it and they will introduce me to a lawyer tomorrow to chat about it.
    so far i am not getting a good vibe from HK but im hoping it is only as you say and hope its just one case of bad luck.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast