what to ship from Toronto?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what to ship from Toronto?

I'm in the process of packing and shipping things over in my move to HK and I was wondering if there are certain things I should stock up on (eg. toiletries, household items, western food)? I understand that I can get pretty much get anything I need there but it may or may not be pricier. Is it worth shipping it over?

Thanks!
    /alt

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Depends on incremental cost of shipping stuff over and whose pocket it's to come out of (company shipping a container?). Anyway, here are some ideas:

Six months' supply of Raisins First cookies from President's Choice (costs 3 to 4 times as much in HK, specially when on sale in Loblaws). Fruits to Go if you have kids. Right Guard spray (they disappeared from HK for some reason). Gilette's gels too here are at about 3-4 times your price. Shaving stuff (go Costco). H2O, Fruits & Passion. Vitamins, fish oil capsules, supplements, etc from Costco or GNC.

Home safe (with battery-powered locks) - we saw great deals two summers ago at Costco but too heavy for plane (ok for plane), so we didn't bite.

Clothes, shoes - only if large sizes are a consideration. I'd be wary of suggesting more - all depends on your shipping situation, family members, personal tastes, housing/storage space in HK. PM if you wish to discuss offline.

You're right, they pretty much have everything here...just try hitting the local grocery stores (Park n' Shop, Welcome) when you're here, they're far less expensive for the same stuff than places that typical expats go to (grEAT, Oliver's...). I got here from TO 2 weeks ago and I don't feel like I'm missing anything...yet.

deleteduser

any cosmetics, moisturizers, makeup, etc. It's a lot more expensive here. Everything else is about the same, or negligible.

LL,

Aren't cosmetics reasonable at SaSa/Bonjour?

Alt, do bring a big bottle of maple syrup and maple cookies....YUM.

Ever thought about stocking up chips a hoy chocolate chip cookies? ^o%

I was thinking about the same thing this week...what should I bring back to HK from Toronto......? just thought of junk food..haha =)

but does anyone know if a Linksys router for internet connection use in Canada will work in HK or not?

Thanks for the replies - I wasn't planning on bringing too much stuff over but since I'm paying a flat shipping rate of max. 45 cubic feet (@ 22 boxes I think?), I thought I should take advantage of it and stock up on misc. stuff.

Comfort foods were my first thoughts! - stuff I will start missing a few months after the move. I was thinking of jugs of salsa (from costco), gummy bears, m&ms, chewy chips ahoy cookies, tim hortons coffee, and krispy kreme donuts if I could but I don't think that's possible...maple syrup is a good one!

I'm aware of vitamins and toothpaste so I've packed those already...

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    LL,

Aren't cosmetics reasonable at SaSa/Bonjour?

Alt, do bring a big bottle of maple syrup and maple cookies....YUM.
    The face moisturizer I use is "Biotherm Homme Hydra Detox"

In Canada, it is about $30 CAD for a bottle - That is around $168. At SaSa, it costs over $340...

If you plan on spending time hiking or are moving to somewhere besides the city I'd suggest stocking up on a bunch of DEET bug spray...it's expensive here

I'm quite sure it's a standard RJ11/45 interface used, so it should be standard. You can always check the Linksys specs on the web to be sure its compatible, and you do often see Linksys in the various computer centres around town.

The only thing to check then might be the voltage, it would be a pain to have to use a transformer just to get the darn thing to work!

Quote Originally Posted by fiana:
    but does anyone know if a Linksys router for internet connection use in Canada will work in HK or not?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast