Like Tree8Likes

Would you say it's easier to be a Western expat or an Asian expat in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Herngju:
    Sometimes it's easier, because I speak Cantonese. Sometimes it's a pain, because I can't read Chinese, but people look at me and assume otherwise. For instance, if I order in English, they think I'm just being an ass, lol. Or say I ask them to repeat something because I'm not familiar with more complex words; some people are cool, some are rude.

One plus for me: I have an HKID with permanent abode and got an HKSAR passport and home return permit, so I can come and go easily.

I know whites get cut slack sometimes. (My husband is white.) Like they can act goofier and it's written off. Of course, a white person has a harder time bargaining, catching a cab in the rain in some areas and such.

Shrug. It's not as if you can choose one way or another, so make the most of whichever you are.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by reddbod:
    If a company hires someone due to his/her race, then that company deserves no attention from me. i reckon it doesn't work that way here. If two people possess similar qualifications, the company would likely hire the one with best attitude for the job.
    Last week, I heard from a headhunter (she told me that she heard this from other headhunters in the industry as well) that a lot of companies in HK and the Mainland that are hiring regional head positions prefer to hire Whites over Asians (from overseas or local), even though their qualifications are similar. According to the headhunter, these companies see a boss who is White holds more authority and power than a boss who looks Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by 2centsworth:
    Last week, I heard from a headhunter (she told me that she heard this from other headhunters in the industry as well) that a lot of companies in HK and the Mainland that are hiring regional head positions prefer to hire Whites over Asians (from overseas or local), even though their qualifications are similar. According to the headhunter, these companies see a boss who is White holds more authority and power than a boss who looks Asian.
    um.......... it really depends on the company and industry, and most importantly the sort of 'culture' this company wants to embrace

Quote Originally Posted by cow1201:
    um.......... it really depends on the company and industry, and most importantly the sort of 'culture' this company wants to embrace
    The ways of the world, things are changing!

what a bunch of crap

Quote Originally Posted by dive852:
    what a bunch of crap
    Crap. Do you mean these companies or headhunters? I actually heard about this practice several years ago, esp. in the sports marketing and fashion/apparel industries. Also, my best friend, who is from a very prestigious headhunting firm told me a few days ago that a very famous high-end retailer is looking for a buyer/merchandiser. They are looking for someone who is preferably white, no BCCs, ABCs, CBCs, and definitely no locals. The client did not blatantly said it, but from the conversations and candidate brief she received, the directions are quite clear.

Anybody who believes that simplified statement is ......! You can add in what you like. If a boss is hiring that way they won't be around too long.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Anybody who believes that simplified statement is ......! You can add in what you like. If a boss is hiring that way they won't be around too long.
    You would only hope so, but how do you prove otherwise? Please advise.

You would only hope so, but how do you prove otherwise? Please advise.
    Let me rephrase this 'anybody who does this is.....'.

So it seems you have taken this as the norm in the business. This is not, totally inaccurate and baseless.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    So it seems you have taken this as the norm in the business. This is not, totally inaccurate and baseless.
    No, I am not saying it is the norm in business, but it has happened and will happen. Don't you agree? As mentioned above, I have heard about it in the sports marketing and apparel/fashion industries; however, I am not sure about other industries.

My best friend, who is a very reliable person, told me about a very attractive position with a high-end retailer here in HK. She told me that they are looking for a non-Chinese person. This means no ABCs, BBCs, CBCs, and local Chinese. Without spelling it out, her client wants someone white.