overcoat needed?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question overcoat needed?

Firstly, apologies for the really noddy question.

Coming over in Feb, how cold does it really get?

Reason I ask is kinda to do with my work attire. Will I need an overcoat with my suit (in terms of how cold it gets). I.e. should i bring my winter overcoat with me, or is that just a bit too overkill.

Again, sorry for the noddy question!!

You may need one. Do you have a trench coat? If you had one with a removable liner you might be ok bringing something like that over, especially if there is some rain. You could take the liner out if you were too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    You may need one. Do you have a trench coat? If you had one with a removable liner you might be ok bringing something like that over, especially if there is some rain. You could take the liner out if you were too hot.
    Thanks

Hmm, no, just got my overcoat that I wear to work. Normal wool (fairly thick) jacket.

I guess I may have to buy a trench coat when I get there.

Now, how cold does it really get there (bearing in mind I'm coming over from the UK).

you can check past weather at the HK observatory website. but generally it can get down to about 10 degrees C sometimes a little colder. sometimes the wind can feel rather cold. but usually these conditions last for a few days at most spread out between december and march.

Although I agree it may get down to 10 degrees that is only in pretty bad weather. You may see that some years. Generally I find it cools down to around 15 or so and hangs there for the winter. (two months, which should last until halfway through Febuary or so) Some days it dips to 11-13 degrees. But, this is a few day cold snap it seems. I am back in t-shirts right now myself.

i think u don't really need trench coat for walking out there.
    maybe a good jacket if you are pub crawling at night.

rem, pin is coming from london!

anyway, its probably colder at home when the walls and windows are not built to environmental frenly specification

Coming from London I would say that there are maybe 10 days a year when you might want to wear your suit jacket outside - the rest of the time you'll be in shirtsleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Coming from London I would say that there are maybe 10 days a year when you might want to wear your suit jacket outside - the rest of the time you'll be in shirtsleeves.
    We have most likely passed through at least 6 of those days this year haven't we?

I've only been here for a few weeks, but so far, the weather's been quite nice. But I guess the locals consider it cold since I see a fair number of men bundled up in overcoats and mufflers while I walk around in shorts - always brings a smile to my face when I see that. Hearing how cold it gets here, we definitely overpacked cold-weather clothing ... and it's not like we're used to cold weather - we come from southern California.

Thanks guys!

I think I'll leave the overcoat at home.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast