Relocation Recommendations

tbl

Question Relocation Recommendations

Hey all you savvy geoexpat people...

My husband and I are visiting HK for several days in a couple of weeks. We want to find a 4 bd/3 ba + study home close to a good international (primary and earlier) school. Where would you suggest looking?

After looking on gohome.com, I have a question about furnished apts vs. serviced apts.? I wouldn't think they are the same thing, yet I can't find any places furnished except serviced ones. Are they just not out there? What do you know?

Please...and thank you.

Last edited by tbl; 29-06-2004 at 11:19 PM. Reason: another question

A furnished apt is usually privately owned & furnished according to owner's taste. Serviced apt is more like hotel, corp managed, standard design with personalized service like housekeeping. Of course the latter doesn't give much home-feel as there're rules & limitation. Btw, most int schools are quite remote from city centre, best if you have a car.

Log on to www.gohome.com, they have a powerful search engine for apartments. Suggest to look for Pokfulam, Tai Tam, Stanley, Shek O, Jardine Knockout, Repulse Bay in Hong Kong Island if you want ot get close to int schools (but flats are pretty expensive around those areas). Mid-range ones will be Happy Valley & Mid-levels (West & East). Good luck!

tbl

Thank you! What about the American International School? It's in Kowloon. Do you know about the school or it's reputation and what areas to look for a home if we were to attend there. Would we still need a car there? Is housing less expensive than South HK?

Am I looking in the wrong place on gohome.com? I just haven't seen any listings for furnished apts.

How much does furnishing run, roughly?

Thanks...

Well, AIS is less famous than those from ESF (english School Foundations, but fees can be rocket high) in HK. Think its in the mid-range in terms of quality & pricing. As for location, Kowloon Tong is one of the most affluent areas on the Kln Peninsula, so don't expect rental rates will be far cheaper than in the HK South. Try http://www.hkwithkids.com/schools.htm#esf to see more.

There is not a "furnished apt" category in gohome.com, unless specified in the flat's bio, otherwise pls dont expect its a furnished one. But gohome.com was already the best & most thorough search engine for flats in town. You may contact a licensed real estate agent (Midland, Centaline, Century 21, Ricacorp are trust-worthy ones) if you have special needs.

Furnishing rates vary depending on the flat's size, layout, material, & most importantly yr expectations & budget. I've some good interior design referral on hand if you want to have a free quote. Hope it helps!

tbl

Sure I'd like that designer referral just in case. And thanks for all the info re schools, etc. I appreciate it.