Indian moving to Hong Kong - will 50000$ p.a. be sufficient

Closed Thread

Question Indian moving to Hong Kong - will 8000 $ p.m be sufficient

Hi all
    I'm Rahul staying in delhi, 23 years old.
    I'm a CA presently working in a good company - but not much happy with my job profile
    I've got a job opportunity with Schneider electricals(French MNC) - they're offering me job but the first 2 years i will have to spend in HK. now , i am little confused about moving to HK

They're offering to convert my indian salary into HK $ and 50000 $ extra - that will come to around 8000$ per month
    Would that be sufficient - because I'll have to arrange for the fooding and transportation myself? would i be able to save anything ?
    what's the income tax rate there ?
    Secondly, I'm a vegetarian - so i know food is also going to be a problem - I'll have to cook myself - but i hope we do get pulses and indian spices over there ?

and would like to have ur guidance on any other aspects as at this time i myself not very sure ?

Thanks- would appreciate early replies

Last edited by rahularora81; 01-07-2004 at 12:44 AM.

Take a look at the cost of living figures here.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...p?threadid=247

Your company, which I think is fairly typical of many an outfit which uses Indian talent, is trying to rip you off, because you're probably excited that someone has offered you a ticket out.

Also, domestic helpers get paid between 3-4K and entry level secretaries / fresh graduates get paid around 8-9K. So, go figure.

Now, I'm not saying that you will not be able to survive here in HK, but your quality of living and your salary will not be on par with that of your colleagues and peers.

Rahul,

is that $8K HK$ or US$? And what about housing? You won't be able to afford housing on HK$8K. Have a look at JobsDB.Com to research current CA salaries.

Its 8000 HK $ , the company is providing accomodation

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Rahul,

is that $8K HK$ or US$? And what about housing? You won't be able to afford housing on HK$8K. Have a look at JobsDB.Com to research current CA salaries.