Like Tree16Likes

Seeking advice on Hong Kong neighourhoods

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sorry, I meant "want to be with the locals"

Quote Originally Posted by Nochriste:
    Yes Discovery Bay seems more and more a good choice for us. The only "bad" comments I heard about it were ironically expat-related (it seems that many people who come to Hong Kong don't want to be with the locals rather than only amongst pairs with their fellow westerners).
    So what do you want? Do you want a place that has no HK smells and Chinese signs or not? Perhaps you could just adapt? You know, kind of get used to the idea you're in HK and things will be a bit different than in Switzerland i.e. the most clinical place on earth? Try to learn some canto and walk around with a phrase book & map even though you may feel out of place - it's all about making an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Nochriste:
    Yes it is true I already live in TST, and I must confess i mostly rely on the routine. For example in front of my office are two laundries. I chose the one with English indications on the outside, and even asked the people working in it to help me order new curtains in a nearby shop. The thing with Mongkok is that it is much more packed than TST. I was looking for electronic devices at good price, but finally gave up because of the proliferation of signs all around which instead of giving me directions (what i would expect from signs) made me lost altogether. My question was rather to know how you manage in those situations.

Yes Discovery Bay seems more and more a good choice for us. The only "bad" comments I heard about it were ironically expat-related (it seems that many people who come to Hong Kong don't want to be with the locals rather than only amongst pairs with their fellow westerners).
    You're a real conundrum, you want someone to hold your hand to go shopping as you don't like not dealing outside of english, the smells and weird locations but then you don't want to live in a supposedly sheltered expat community like DB which would suit your non exploratory lifestyle.

Thank god I don't live with you. You would be a real headache.

Do yourself a favour, get out and enjoy what the city has to offer. Try something new. You might be surprised, you might like it, if you don't, then try something different.
    Last edited by virago; 10-01-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answers! Sorry if you feel offended by my questions.

In fact, I rather expected you to give me your personal experiences and impressions. It doesn't meen that I refuse to get exposed to Chinese environment. I just want the best for my wife and learn a lot before she comes (and also find a place where she would not feel too desoriented). She doesn't know Hk and I want her to like it here...
    I have started to learn Chinese writing, but it seems it will take some time before I can read on the streets.

Do you all read signs in chinese, or rely on trans-language communication, or gestures?

This is something I've always struggled to understand... Why go to a new country and new environment if it isn't to experience it, learn new things and enjoy the differences. If I wanted to live in a community full of westerners, speak english and have english signs then I would have stayed in my own country.

Why worry so much? If you're lost, ask for directions or simply enjoy the feeling and try to find your way back. It may take time but you'll get better at it. One of the best way to discover HK is to walk around the different neighborhoods, it'll also give you a feel and help you decide if you want to live there.

Peeps - chill! Our Swiss brother was just asking for advice... I completely understand what he's saying; if the people posting here didn't want to experience any western culture they'd be living in a field somewhere in the mainland. I get why people venture out and want to experience it all (it sounds like the OP does to be fair), and I would never criticize them for that. For what it's worth I personally don't like the culture here very much at all, and would love to live in Switzerland for a few years!

By the way, every time I walk through the streets in HK & smell 'the smell' (when can't you lol?) I think of this scene from the Matrix;

Agent Smith - he speaks so slow, but he speaks so true

Last edited by Dmmos; 15-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Nochriste -

In Kowloon/ NT

You may try TST Hillwood Road and Austin Avenue - this area is nice - a short distance from the rush of it all and Kowloon Park is right there too.

Also suggest Whampoa Garden or else where in Hung Hom as there are shops nearby the seaside

Both of the above are nearby where you work too and will not cost you a fortune in transportation

A bit away from the the city but also quite good is

Sham Tseng, I'm living here now after living in TST, Jordan, Clearwater Bay and the Mid-levels. It is quite nice and there is are two direct buses from where I am living to TST each morning and tons of other transportation to the MTR and other places.

Also there is the Gold Coast they also have shuttle buses to and from TST - many expats live that way too.

On Hong Kong island

Happy Valley is nice as is Tin Hau (nearby Victoria Park).
    I personally find Causeway Bay too polluted.

As for navigating my way around a city - I would suggest a map and label places you want to remember. I started in HK using the free tourists map - then two - then three - because they all go so filled up. When I first arrived in Beijing 11 years ago - the best advise given to me then was go get lost and find my way home - it works, at least it did for me, as it really forced me to be able to navigate my way around.

Welcome to Hong Kong - you'll find it exciting and at times frustrating but it is all part of the adventure.

Natfixit likes this.

Mongkok is just like anywhere else, you get lost a few times and then eventually it starts to make sense. I navigate by shops and MTR exits and bus stops. I could not tell you the names of which streets, but I know I have to cross one road from Exit E of the MTR and walk down a street with shoe shops to a street with a market in it and then on the corner I find my favourite outdoor store (Chamonix). And so on.
    I don't speak any chinese (well, not canto anyway); and cannot read any signs. I've been here for over 3 years. I don't find it a problem. I entirely ignore all chinese writing (it just looks like wallpaper to me, my mind refuses to process it as language!). I either speak English, or just sign language, body language or whatever. People will either understand or they wont. If they don't - I just try another shop or taxi or whatever. You just get used to being unclear about what is going on alot of the time!

It's all about being more relaxed and caring less. Don't worry if you are lost - it does not matter. Don't worry if you don't understand people, it doesn't matter. there is nothing you can do for your wife - she'll have to cope with her own culture shock, it's a personal thing.

huja and Nochriste like this.

Thanks very much to all of you.

I find your comments very insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    . . . you get lost a few times and then eventually it starts to make sense.
    Indeed, getting lost might be the best thing. You'll most likely find your way and encounter some pleasant surprises (new restaurants, shops, parks, etc). Worst-case scenario is you hop in a cab to take you to someplace familiar. Think about it. That is the worst-case scenario - you have to spend a few dollars in taxi fare to get you out of an unfamiliar place. You are not getting lost in the Brazilian rain forest with only a pocket knife and a compass. You are on a peninsula in a place where English is widely (though not universally) spoken. You can't walk a block without a chance to hop on some sort of public transport (which will have signage in English). Exhale, man. It'll be Okay. Maybe even fun.
    Satay Sue likes this.