family moving fr sing

tex

Smile family moving fr sing

help! i've answered so many of these queries on the sing board and cant believe i'm on the other side-- clueless!

in a nutshell i'd like to know how what sort of package it's going to take to give us the things that we enjoy in singapore (aside from the weather!). here's what i'd like:

an apt large enough for 2 kids (below 4) and a dog and a helper.
    apt by the beach, with a pool/gym facilities.
    car--or do you think we don't need one? is it more of a burden there?
    club membership--heard its necessary with little kids. true? what does it cost for a good one? and which are good?

what else is nice to have in an expat pkg in hk? anyone done a similar move from singapore? i'd love to hear from you!

If you're looking for a apt by the beach, you can look at staying at Clear water bay or DB Island.

I guess you have to be more specific about your budget and all because your info is too general .

tex

speedy, thanks for your quick response. yes, i see that it is too general. ok, let's say we have a 60K HK monthly budget for housing. and we'd like to stay in an expat area. i think we will have a car allowance, but i don't know what. how much do we need for something that can seat the whole family? do people generally lease or buy?

i'm looking at about 20% salary increase from singapore, does this sound adequate to compensate for higher living costs?

Tex:

Keep in mind that HK is not a fine or a tax city... so 20% should be generous. However, housing can be pretty expensive.

You should be able to get some pretty decent options in areas like Repulse Bay, Stanley, Clearwater bay in the HK$ 60K range.

Take a look at http://www.centanet.com or http://www.gohome.com.hk for options in that range.

Parking will be a majority of your car expenses. Try to find an apartment which includes a car park. Parking at work is usually iffy .. depends on where your company is and the arrangements they have for parking with the building they're in. A parking lot in Central can run between $3500-5000/month.

tex

another thing...

how is the real estate market there for rentals at the moment? is it a renter's market? please say yes.

and is there a guidebook for expats or magazine that you would recommend?

which club(s) are really good for kids programs, swimming and tennis?

Hi tex,

Your budget for the house is very good already. I will suggest you to move to Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung area because there are a lot of expat living there. You can contact Yolanda Chu at [email protected] . She is a consultant from Pricoa Relocation H.K. Ltd. I think she can help you.

About the which Club is good for your family. I think Kowloon Cricket Club is a good one. Locate at the heart of Kowloon, with swimming pool and dinner service and functions for kids and adults.

Hebe