Like Tree21Likes

Singapore vs Hong Kong for "Western" Expats

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The hiking and outdoor pursuits are much better in HK than Singapore - and the weather is better too (we actually have winter! yeah!). Just my 2 cents worth. I lived in KL (similar weather etc) for 2 years and actually found I hated the constant heat and inability to do anything outdoors at any time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's not really fair - it's far, far better than most HK locals...

For what it's worth, your post was missing an apostrophe.

so, of course, was yours.
    dear giant likes this.

again it really does depend on your criteria for "positive" characteristics and what the "western" expat wants...

personally, i prefer having crowds, the different things to do, having more culture and customs in Hong Kong. Singapore is nice because it is cleaner and i love the hawker stores there selling lots of cheap good food, but it is not somewhere i would want to live...

so it does depend on what the expat is looking for... good english? character? good pay? things to do? cost? taxes? shopping? spouse jobs? etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    again it really does depend on your criteria for "positive" characteristics and what the "western" expat wants...

personally, i prefer having crowds, the different things to do, having more culture and customs in Hong Kong. Singapore is nice because it is cleaner and i love the hawker stores there selling lots of cheap good food, but it is not somewhere i would want to live...

so it does depend on what the expat is looking for... good english? character? good pay? things to do? cost? taxes? shopping? spouse jobs? etc etc.
    Which of course varies by individual !

I loathe crowds with a passion and like hiking - others may have completely different desires....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I loathe crowds with a passion and like hiking - others may have completely different desires....
    I loathe both thats why I am a semi-professional Sofa tester, i sit and lay on my sofa in my house as much as possible.

fm7

I love crowds and hate hiking.

Actually, what I really like is walking in busy cities. Part of my struggle with HK is that you either get the pleasant walk, or the big city. Singapore is no better on this issue.

I am with moving07, it is very much up to the individual as to which lifestyle requirements best suit us.

Consider also that expats are a very diverse group, some are on their 5th international expat post, and adapt well to geographic change, for some it will be their first time working abroad, single with no ties, married with no kids or married with children, we all have different levels of criteria, that will make the transition easier...

On a housing space point of view, I'd have to say that Singapore offers much larger accommodation that suit families with kids better, and for less expense. ( 4 bedroom 2000 - 3000ft2 properties ).

But the same could be said for families here in HKG that choose to live in the New Territories ie Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay, who want much larger spaces, for considerably less cost than Central or south HK island, as an example..

Hong Kong has it's various suburban/urban enclaves that cater for all of the different expat demographic life styles/stages, so it really depends on what stage your lifestyle is at, right now.

Are you starting with nothing, building a budding career, single with no ties etc ? Married with no kids, or married with children ? All of these factors will influence where you choose to settle.

Personally I find Hong Kong the best fit, as we have family here, which has helped me understand the HK Chinese culture a lot more, by adding to my sensibilities.

I believe that there is a residential area for everybody, it might pay to visit the different residential area's where us expats like to live, and make your own mind up, as to which one suits you.

My suggestions of some diverse area's of HK & its territories..

HK Island
    Mid Levels
    Happy Valley
    Causeway bay
    Sheung Wan
    Kennedy Town
    Tai Koo Shing
    Aberdeen
    Stanley

Lantau
    Discovery Bay easy access to central, if you like the out doors in your spare time, it's a good affordable spot.

New Territories East

Sai Kung / Clearwater Bay one of my favourite locations, but its a 60 minute commute to Central by public transport. Worth it for one of the best communities in HK, in my opinion.

New Territories West
    Tuen Mun which is where the Sino Property owned Gold Coast development is, although there are much better non property developer owned quality apartment complexes that neighbour the Gold Coast, but it does provide a well equipped el fresco mall, to hang out with friends on the weekends.

Check out Google Maps and flickr photo galleries to get a feel for how these area's look.

Good luck and happy researching .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 24-03-2009 at 02:51 PM.

totally agree with the last post!
    I love Singapore. The diversity of cultures is amazing and the food is just great! There are genuinely friendly people here! ^^

In HK no one ever asked me where I was from... Its curious to see hk people copying the western people without really knowing who western really are and live like (with all their diverse cultural diferences ). I feel like they they dont really copy the west...they copy the worst things of the west. Because if they were really copying the west they would be more interested in culture, in people (more friendly), and civilized... (loud chewing, burping, slurping...??) is nothing that most western people would do.
    English is indeed very poor in Hk too... Even between young people. Considering Singapore is a country with nerly fifty year old one would be expecting the Hk people to speak better English and not otherwise...(the british hand control of HK to China in 1997) ...sad but true!

dear giant likes this.

I meant the last comment from Ivory Holidays ( besides me, the only person here who prefers Singapore to HK).
    I am not singaporian btw...
    cheers!

What a dim thread. Even the title is ludicrous. What do white people like? Depends on the person! Life is what you make of it. Both places have expat whiners and those that suck it up and make the best of it and appreciate how exciting life can be living overseas. Ranking and rating places is completely futile. It's 100% about your own attitude and perception.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast