Like Tree21Likes

Singapore vs Hong Kong for "Western" Expats

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

You certainly are not wrong, in fact taxi drivers are banned from talking politics to their passengers in Singapore.

"Talk is cheap" as someone here once said, the fact is that Singaporeans can stand up if they wanted to and make a real difference, here its is just a noise that will never change the situation ever.

However even if taxi drivers in Singapore for example may not talk about politics they certainly do, it just takes you to start it off.

Here we are living in a glass Chines bubble, speculating ranting and fretting about everything and nothing.

dear giant likes this.

Does anybody else have any views on this matter? I am considering the move at the end of my current contract in the summer, I fit into the young(ish) couple about to start trying to have a family. My wife is very keen on the move, I am unsure. We have both visited the city, my feelings were mixed, it appears to have definite pros and cons when compared to Hong Kong.

Singapore is clean and boring. Hong Kong is polluted and exciting. That basically sums it up for me!

dipper likes this.

Singapore-smaller city (in area and population), clean, well-order, obey rules, relatively more polite, but yes-boring
    Hong Kong-bigger city (in area and population), more dirty, less well-ordered, more rude but far more interesting.

Last edited by Watercooler; 28-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.

hmm any relation to Satay Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    hmm any relation to Satay Sue?
    Lol no he isn't but many people know that I refer to it as Singabore!
    Molie likes this.

They are both great cities. Singapore has cleaner air, and a nice environemnt.

Many expats are moving to Singapore right now.

Quote Originally Posted by xpto:
    ...In HK no one ever asked me where I was from... Its curious to see hk people copying the western people without really knowing who western really are and live like (with all their diverse cultural diferences ). I feel like they they dont really copy the west...they copy the worst things of the west. Because if they were really copying the west they would be more interested in culture, in people (more friendly), and civilized... (loud chewing, burping, slurping...??) is nothing that most western people would do.
    English is indeed very poor in Hk too... Even between young people. Considering Singapore is a country with nerly fifty year old one would be expecting the Hk people to speak better English and not otherwise...(the british hand control of HK to China in 1997) ...sad but true!
    wonder what he/she meant by "copying" the western people?
    anyway, people of all creeds/colors chew loudly, burp and slurp.

Haha

Classic case of pointing "You smelly, you smelly", while roaming around yourself with a diaper full
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ironic really

You criticise the HK locals English skills when yours is not really up to scratch either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajnesh:
    Classic case of pointing "You smelly, you smelly", while roaming around yourself with a diaper full
    Hardly demonstrating a high command of English yourself

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast