Like Tree21Likes

Singapore vs Hong Kong for "Western" Expats

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Any hong kong people live or study in Malaysia ?

I am a canada citizen from Toronto city. Now I'm taking bachelor degree in Malaysia.
    I feel Canada and Malaysia are very different world of standard of living. The most problem that i found is transportation in Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by kettana:
    I feel Canada and Malaysia are very different world of standard of living.

No shit, Sherlock ?

I'd imagine Hong Kong would look pretty sick/ugly/shabby/dirty/smoggy/crowded/crammed/noisy/badly maintained/un house proud, compared to Canada's pristine Uplands in Oak Bay, Victoria.....? Depends what you are used to, right ?

What's your point, apart from maybe appreciation for what a great developed country like Canada, has given you, ie citizenship and the equal opportunity to enjoy a good future.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 29-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.

I love visiting Singapore (esp when company is applying for taxis - see below) but hated living there. What gives?

I think Singapore is aesthetically a really nice place and has only got better over past five years. But I found living there was suffocating - a kind of Truman Show suburban hell. Living in Singapore made me feel I had given up on living.

And the same weather. Every day. I started to forget what month we were in.

I would not say it is boring, but it is very bland. And despite this, most locals have an oddly inflated sense of importance.

My biggest pros - the variety of food and the proximity to quick getaways
    My biggest cons - the weather and the taxis.

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101:
    While Singapore protects its heritage Hong Kong throws it away for short sighted greed.
    Are you serious. Ask the local Singaporeans about all the heritage buildings that were demolished in the 70s and 80s and replaced with bland soulless Western style buildings in a misguided attempt to impress foreigners. They then erected fake historical buildings in the city to replaced what they destroyed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by Loz_2; 29-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Are you serious. Ask the local Singaporeans about all the heritage buildings that were demolished in the 70s and 80s and replaced with bland soulless Western style buildings in a misguided attempt to impress foreigners. They then erected fake historical buildings in the city to replaced what they destroyed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Just watch Barry McKenzie or any other old movie and Hong Kong's landscape has changed massively.

The government in HK has their buildings demolished like lego sets, so they might be able to reconstruct them. It begs the question, where?....

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Just watch Barry McKenzie or any other old movie and Hong Kong's landscape has changed massively.

The government in HK has their buildings demolished like lego sets, so they might be able to reconstruct them. It begs the question, where?....
    I agree. Singapore has done a better job of preserving heritage buildings than HK has.

Agreed with Ivory 100%. Darm worse, if you are in the mtr in Hk. Go experience yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I must say I do agree with the food side of things, Singapore does have a lot of ( different tasting ) diversity, be it the German Hot Dog vendor in China Town lol or dropping by little India for a curry and a coke, for $3 or $4.00SG as well as everything else in between.

I also agree about the weather, especially this time of year, I am loving these cooler months, which aligns perfectly with my western European physiology, where as SG is pretty much hot all year. Nice to have a break from the heat, winter in Hong Kong/Japan/Sth Korea certainly suits me better.
    Coke is$3 or $4. U must be crazy. I bought one in singapore most expensive one cost me $2.

Quote Originally Posted by LingLing_733:
    Coke is$3 or $4. U must be crazy. I bought one in singapore most expensive one cost me $2.
    You bought a curry ie a meal, including a can of coke for $2.00, did you ?

You missed the curry part of my post, so no, you can't.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 07-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunko8:
    wonder what he/she meant by "copying" the western people?
    anyway, people of all creeds/colors chew loudly, burp and slurp.

Yeah " copying western" have blue contact lens and "golden" hair!!!!!! I saw this almost everyday in mtr hk.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast