Asian Indians in Hong Kong

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baron:
    As a misinterpretation of 'Indian' i'll just call you chief
    "How" Chief KIA

scr

Hey, don't you think Indians from the Indian subcontinent should be called just Indian. After all Native Americans are called Indians only because 'somebody' thought he was in India So they can have the Red/Native whatever in front of Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by scr:
    Hey, don't you think Indians from the Indian subcontinent should be called just Indian. After all Native Americans are called Indians only because 'somebody' thought he was in India So they can have the Red/Native whatever in front of Indians.
    we've just got the paddle out, giving it a good stir - don't get ur knickers in a knot!

it's just that in this world of political correctness, it is really hard to call one group of people one thing without offending them, or offending another group of people. I do tend to agree with you, but it is still worth a good stir, especially cos KIA (and a lot of others) hates the "asian indian" reference...

also makes me larf wen my mates say things like "i'll kick ur white ass" everyone thinks it is funny, but wen i say "i'll kick your (insert colour) ass" people around us hush and look at me as if i've dropped a stinker. my mates can take it, cos they dish it, but those "proper" people around us think i am racist by making such a remark... funny.
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-09-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    .. wen my mates say things like "i'll kick ur white ass" everyone thinks it is funny....
    horrors! that is definitely racist - not funny at all! now, when they say 'pink' instead, then it takes on a different hue altogether !!

btw, scr, you have a backer.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    we've just got the paddle out, giving it a good stir - don't get ur knickers in a knot!

it's just that in this world of political correctness, it is really hard to call one group of people one thing without offending them, or offending another group of people. I do tend to agree with you, but it is still worth a good stir, especially cos KIA (and a lot of others) hates the "asian indian" reference...

also makes me larf wen my mates say things like "i'll kick ur white ass" everyone thinks it is funny, but wen i say "i'll kick your (insert colour) ass" people around us hush and look at me as if i've dropped a stinker. my mates can take it, cos they dish it, but those "proper" people around us think i am racist by making such a remark... funny.

Dropdedfwed, being politically correct is not necessarily being offensive to anyone (even unintentional). The point is, and I'm sure KiA made this clear before, is to use the correct term when referring to people from the subcontinent or from anywhere for that matter. Call and Indian an Indian, call a Pakistani a Pakistani, and call a Bangaldeshi a Bangladeshi. It's plain and simple. Just don't call them anything else other than what they're supposed to be called.

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    Dropdedfwed, being politically correct is not necessarily being offensive to anyone (even unintentional). The point is, and I'm sure KiA made this clear before, is to use the correct term when referring to people from the subcontinent or from anywhere for that matter. Call and Indian an Indian, call a Pakistani a Pakistani, and call a Bangaldeshi a Bangladeshi. It's plain and simple. Just don't call them anything else other than what they're supposed to be called.
    Max, being politcally correct is supposed to be non offensive to all. but that is not always possible. and there are double standards in society. the point is that the term asian indian was coined to reduce the confusion with american indians. now really, who is to decide who is called what? you say call indians "indians", and i ask, are u talking about indian indians, or american indians? really this was a stir that has been taken out of context, max. chill, we're all non-racist multicultural people, and it is sad that so much time is wasted on trivial labels and wrongly taken offense.

in answer to the real question that started this thread - there are lots of people from the subcontinental country of India residing in Hong Kong. These people do not seem to have a central preferred residential location. They seem to be happy living in all corners of Hong Kong.

Is that politically correct enough??

KIA, i think this thread needs to be closed. if anyone has any anxieties they wanna take out on me, PM me. cheers.
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-09-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Whoa, DDFwed.....you probably misunderstood me....

I said before that there are correct terms to refer to people of different origins. The reason why the "Asian Indian" term was coined may have been to avoid confusion with "American Indian", but due to continued ignorance and lack of awareness these terms still continue to be used.
    I mean, why even use the term "American Indian" when the proper term for them is "Native Americans"? Start referring to them as that and the term "Asian Indian" then becomes redundant.

There's no need to equate one's racial identity with one's nationality. Individual identities are/should be determined by ourselves.

"Who is to decide who is called what?" you say?...why not let the person themselves decide how they wish to be referred as?

Quote Originally Posted by scr:
    BTW, I agree with you. I had never ever actually heard the term "Asian Indian" before this thread, only Indian or American Indian... but it has been a good thread to have some fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    There's no need to equate one's racial identity with one's nationality. Individual identities are/should be determined by ourselves.

"Who is to decide who is called what?" you say?...why not let the person themselves decide how they wish to be referred as?
    so, do we all walk around with a big sticker on our backs saying "call me an Indian", or "call me a coloured/non-white Australian"?? he he he

nup ... society decides this for us, not the individual... the individual has the preference, but cannot tell society what to do... 'tis a shame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles..

so, do we all walk around with a big sticker on our backs saying "call me an Indian", or "call me a coloured/non-white Australian"?? he he he

nup ... society decides this for us, not the individual... the individual has the preference, but cannot tell society what to do... 'tis a shame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles..
    Society may decide it for us, but don't forget, we also have the ability to CHANGE society.

All it takes is an individual with vision and zeal. History has shown us great examples of the same....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast