Like Tree4Likes

how to rent a car in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    AUD40-50 per day is extraordinarily cheap by world standards. And we have consistently linked DCH who would do you a minivan or car from Friday lunchtime to Monday morning for HK$1700 (about HK$600 per 24 hours).

For what it's worth, I just went to Avis Australia, and the cheapest rental they could give me from SYD for the same period (for a 3-door Hyundai) was AUD139 (HKD1075). For an Intermediate (Hyundai Elantra) it is AUD168 (HK$1300). Minivans are not available.

At LHR, a Chevrolet Matiz (very very small) is GBP78.46 (HK$970), a Peugeot 308 is GBP132 (HK$1630). That's one driver only - add HK$300 per extra driver!
    you can try bayswater next time you are in sydney. cars can open be picked up in the cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I think Moving was refering to Rent a wreck or Rent a bomb Rent-A-Bomb.Victoria Used Car Rental Rates.

Which on a business point of view, isnt really a viable cost option here in HK, you have to pay more, because space to park cars costs money, and insurance here isn't cheap.
    Yes and Yes. I understand the issue, just wish it were not!

I've just sold my car so in the V8 full time now!

I was wondering though, what would be the pros and cons of having kept the Volvo and renting it out for $5/6/700 per day or something?

Could a rent-a-bomb (self drive) work in Hong Kong?

The problem for you is getting the car to and from your renters.

To the OP, I think you can hire a cab for the entire (12 hour shift) day for $800-$1000 including the driver. This seems to be the cheapest solution unless you needed space like a minivan or prefer to drive youeself.

The problem for you is getting the car to and from your renters.
    At the bottom of the market you'd hardly be offering deliver and collect. I would say this would be the least of your problems!

I'm thinking insurance.....legal framework....etc...

So, you have your V40 successfully sold via Geo? Congrat! I am going to have to sell my trusty reliable very soon as well (before the new one delivers), looks like here is a good option (Any special discount to forum regulars, shri? )

By the way, renting a car in HK is pretty expensive after checking out Toyota/Avis etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    So, you have your V40 successfully sold via Geo? Congrat! I am going to have to sell my trusty reliable very soon as well (before the new one delivers), looks like here is a good option (Any special discount to forum regulars, shri? )
    I think Geo is good value at 88+a bit to highlight the add although I'd pay a bit more to make it 'sticky' at the top for a few days!

I wouldn't limit yourself to one site or only expats though......stick a sign on the car, consider the other site, more expensive but more calls IMO, Kijiji are free but only 60 views vs over 250 here. ax don't indicate views but I got a lot more calls from them, still, it's a lot more expensive!..... 28car is best, get a local pal to help you.....consider letting it go to one of the dealers cheap, (they'll call you, don't worry ;-)).....you will get a lot of time wasters who want to spend an hour looking then either lowball or say no! You may think it's worth letting it go for a few thousand less to save the hassle, I did and I'm happy about it.....
    Last edited by bryant.english; 14-01-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    dtb and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I've just sold my car so in the V8 full time now!

I was wondering though, what would be the pros and cons of having kept the Volvo and renting it out for $5/6/700 per day or something?

Could a rent-a-bomb (self drive) work in Hong Kong?
    I'd have rented it! (for 2 days a year, including delivery to Gold Coast - not sure you can build a business on that).

Cheap car rental is completely lacking in HK. NONE available at all. So there is a niche, whether it is large enough who knows!
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I'd have rented it! (for 2 days a year, including delivery to Gold Coast - not sure you can build a business on that).

Cheap car rental is completely lacking in HK. NONE available at all. So there is a niche, whether it is large enough who knows!
    There is, of course, an informal vehicle rental.....I've rented vans a couple of times, self-drive, 80-100 p/h......obviously could be a mess if there was an accident...