Like Tree2Likes

going to phils with helper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

going to phils with helper

taking a few days off to the philippines and bringing our helper with us (for her it's considered work to support us - though she is already excited like a little kid as it's a place she has never been...)

any issues to bring your helper with regard to visa, etc.?

she is from the phils itself. i might be concerned about nothing, but just want to avoid any issues when we re-enter hong kong on the return

as far as i know there won't be an issue at all for her, for all they know she could just be on another vacation trip

as for you, you might need an entry Visa unless your passport is qualified with those Visa Free travel to the Phil. BTW which area are you visiting?

I'd be more worried about her entry/exit into Phils than with HK. I have seen lots of queues and stuff in Manila airport where FHD's are leaving and they seem to have to pay extra taxes etc that normal travellers (ie me) don't have to pay. I don't know the details or anything and it should be fine, but Phils seems to love to extract money from their long-suffering expats!

If your Dh is from the Philippines, I don't see a problem with her entering the Philippines (I take it she's using a filipino passport)
    She'll have to pay a terminal fee of 750 pesos and an additional 16xx pesos tax since she's a citizen of the Philippines.
    She can only be exempted of the 16xx if she's a PR of HongKong (proof of HKID card) and I think they'll just charge her 200 some odd pesos only.

Last edited by elnino12; 24-01-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Typo

interesting. i knew they must be screwing them somehow.

we will fly through the cebu airport. though i assume it's the same one way or another...

There are other ways of being exempted, including being a registered OFW, or (as always in the Philippines) "knowing" someone in the right department at the airport. For some reason Mrs PDLM never got charged the exit tax at Manila (NAIA) (where CX did the "checking"), but almost always did at Clark (where Cebu Pacific did the checking, unless her "friend" was on duty). Never went to Cebu so don't know the situation there.

Quote Originally Posted by elnino12
    If your Dh is from the Philippines, I don't see a problem with her entering the Philippines (I take it she's using a filipino passport)
    She'll have to pay a terminal fee of 750 pesos and an additional 16xx pesos tax since she's a citizen of the Philippines.
    She can only be exempted of the 16xx if she's a PR of HongKong (proof of HKID card) and I think they'll just charge her 200 some odd pesos only.
    To avoid paying these fees, the Filipino helper can go to the Philippine Consulate here and apply for the OEC (current fee seems to be $20), then she does not pay the terminal fee or tax.
    :::: CONSULATE GENERAL of the PHILIPPINES ::::HK SAR ::::

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow
    To avoid paying these fees, the Filipino helper can go to the Philippine Consulate here and apply for the OEC (current fee seems to be $20), then she does not pay the terminal fee or tax.
    :::: CONSULATE GENERAL of the PHILIPPINES ::::HK SAR ::::
    Correct. Just make sure she has all her paperwork on her whether she gets exemption or not. Our helper got refused permission to fly out of Clark because she did not have all the paperwork with her and we had to pay for a ticket for the next day. I think she will still have to pay something at the airport - like kids who are tax exempt but have to pay a fee to be tax exempt!

..but before getting an OEC she must have a valid OWA (Overseas Workers Associations) membership which is usually yearly & cost less then $HK300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast