Public Wifi in HK works well?

Closed Thread

Public Wifi in HK works well?

Hi There

I am coming out to HK next month. I am going to be away from my family and want to be able to get them on facetime/skype. I was thinking I should buy an ipod touch for this purpose. Is the quality of Wifi at train stations and public spaces any good? Also how does it work, is there a subscription to pay to the service provider, and does one payment cover everywhere in HK?

Many thanks

Berni

There is free Government wifi at certain locations. See free gov wifi. That is sometimes ok for voice calls, but not always. You would also have to go to one of the listed locations to use in (such as a park or a library).

There is also free limited wifi in some places such as MacDonalds or some coffee shops. See HK Extras for a guide.

Last edited by drumbrake; 25-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.

PCCW offers a good plan and they have the best coverage. They have a monthly single device plan for about HK$48 a month and they cover the MTR stations amongst others:
    https://hotspot.pccwwifi.com/WL/login2.jsp?eid=e00002

There are also loads of free wifi spots as well, including most (if not all) government buildings: GovHK: GovWiFi Locator and Premises List

Hi

Thank you very much for the information.

Berni

The other big alternative to PCCW is Y5ZONE:
    Y5ZONE

They provide free access in all the McDonalds. In other locations you have to pay. You can sign up on their site and they have a whole bunch of packages. eg "One month plan for Apple Devices $28", prepaid passes, stored value cards, etc.