Satellite TV - Help needed

Closed Thread

Satellite TV - Help needed

Moving to HK in seven days, can I access satellite TV easily in my apartment? If you can, what can I expect to get, Chinese?,US?,Australian? UK? can anybody tell me what is available and how much will it cost?
    Also any advice on mobile phones and broadband would be helpful, thanks.

Hi Tomwood,

Many HK expat will install the Thai satellite especially living in House (Not apartment). You may try to go to some Expat bar and ask their staff, they might have information to give you.

For the mobile phone is very easy, all around HK have planty shops sell telephone and service. The most popular one is One2Free but you can try Smartone or People because One2Free is the most expensive one. Depends where you live, in HK side you can go to Causeway Bay, along the Tram track you can find most of them. In Kowloon side, I will recommend you go to Mongkok or Diamond Hill MTR station (Plaza Hollywood).

For the boardband, can apply through PCCW the netvigator. You can visit PCCW web site to find the details.

Hebe

Just wanted to know what are the broadband and cable/satellite TV options:

Besides Netvigator, which is about $298/month are there cheaper options?

Besides NOW Broadband TV, are there other cable services? I am looking for something that will provide a lot of English channels, especially the standard American channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc.) What are the fees typically?

Lastly, on average how much does cell phone service cost per month?

Website address would be appreciated... Thanks!

http://www.cabletv.com.hk is the only cable tv provider here and they have only afew English language channels (CNN, BBC, Discovery, Nat Geog, ESPN, Star Sports,...). There are quite a few Broadband options, but only PCCW currently has the TV over broadband. Try http://www,so-net.com.hk for a cheaper alternative broadband (around HK$150/month up depending on lbandwidth and length of commitment).

I must say that HK TV is probably the most disappointing thing I have found since moving here. Compared to the 200+ channels you can get in North America (including Asia programming), the few channels with delayed programming available in HK is just pathetic. I wouldn't get your hopes up to much if you are coming from the States. I thought that such a technology advanced part of the world would have much better.

Really helpful, thanks folks.

I agree the one thing I also found disappointing was the lack of quality english speaking TV stations.Is it possible to get more with a bigger dish? You do see some really big satellite dishes.