Like Tree21Likes

newlywed moving to HK from USA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

thanks for the feedback

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am actually all for the move because we are a bit of an adventure junkie couple. Being married and dependent on him is something new to me and I guess I'm learning how to deal with it (as evidenced by my insecurities). Can anyone tell me what the museum life is like there? I am hoping to get a job, but because i'm in the medical field, y licensure may take a while to convert. I'm not sure if I will be hired because I don't speak Cantanese. In any case, i'm excited to see what HK has to offer and I"m greatful for the positive AND negative feedback. I feel it's important to have an accurate and unbiased expectation of what is to come.
    Thanks again,
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Yes well, if I ever strayed it would be for the right reasons and SE Asians are, frankly, not my cup of tea but hey, everyone has their own likes.
    What are the right and wrong reasons to cheat on your partner?

museum life? what sort? there are some, I guess - probably not as much culture here as even the USA though. (Which is devoid compared to Europe). But Macau is close - they have some nice old buildings and museums and churches. Take a look on meetup.com for various other groups that meet here for social events - hiking, scrabble, poker, photography etc etc you might find something you'd enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    museum life? what sort? there are some, I guess - probably not as much culture here as even the USA though. (Which is devoid compared to Europe). But Macau is close - they have some nice old buildings and museums and churches. Take a look on meetup.com for various other groups that meet here for social events - hiking, scrabble, poker, photography etc etc you might find something you'd enjoy.
    There is no culture here in HK at all. Their idea of art is a joke, and the museums are far and few between with little to offer. I too am from NYC and moved here 3 years ago, although, I have children which brings on a different dynamic. There are a lot of positives to living here in HK; however it will never compare to the U.S. at all and your stay here in HK will just need to be chalked up to an interesting life experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvelvet00:
    There is no culture here in HK at all. Their idea of art is a joke, and the museums are far and few between with little to offer. I too am from NYC and moved here 3 years ago, although, I have children which brings on a different dynamic. There are a lot of positives to living here in HK; however it will never compare to the U.S. at all and your stay here in HK will just need to be chalked up to an interesting life experience.
    Depends on what you call culture! Art culture in HK is quite vibrant compared to many Asian cities. If you compare to the bloated museums showing the same European or US centric art which is for the masses then no, it's not here.

I would ignore the horror stories that you hear to be honest. If your marriage is strong (and you work on keeping it that way) then it will withstand any opportunistic ladies. Also, I should point out that not all guys are attracted to Asians, in terms of their personal preferences anyway. People make it sound like its inevitable...

I get a little tired of the whole fat Western shrew/beautiful, obedient thin Asian stereotype too. Its not true and is rather demeaning to both sides.

I also would not compare HK or Asia to the US. Its a totally different beast, which has its own set of unique charms and annoyances. If you focus too much on what it is not, you might miss all the things that it IS. I love it here!

London2HK and niossap like this.

Depends on what you call culture! Art culture in HK is quite vibrant compared to many Asian cities. If you compare to the bloated museums showing the same European or US centric art which is for the masses then no, it's not here.
    i prefer galleries over museums, and there are very few galleries here in HK. NYC was great for galleries, as was Beijing surprisingly. But HK...only a handful.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i prefer galleries over museums, and there are very few galleries here in HK. NYC was great for galleries, as was Beijing surprisingly. But HK...only a handful.
    Yes meant to say gallaries. Agree with you regarding Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvelvet00:
    There is no culture here in HK at all..
    That is unfair and not entirely true.

There is culture but there is language barrier. You will see a lot of shows/concerts...but since it is HK and China, many are not that accessible to foreigners (or foreigners are not aware). Just the last 2 months have seen huge shows of local artists: Andy Lau, Faye Wong...) and appart from the HK Art Festival that usually runs in Feb/March and attarcts a lot more foreigners due to an "international" selection of performers, the rest is more asian/local, but that does not mean there are none.

Museums: much less than in the "west" and of poorer quality
    Galleries: much less than in the "west"

The "west": NYC, Paris, London, Berlin...
    z754103 likes this.

Also HK girls are hot and dress reasonably well and quite sophisticated for Asia.
    i sincerely hope that you are joking, or do you include these potatoe sacks that some girls call a skirt as part of being sophisticated?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast