Like Tree21Likes

newlywed moving to HK from USA

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    too true...
    the fashion here has been VERY sophisticated. first was the season of potato sacks, next up came the diaper shorts, followed by the MC Hammer pants, and now the Chewbacca shoes.
    and then you have some girls that not only do not have any fashion sense per se, but are also one or several years behind the above "fashion" trends...

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    too true...
    the fashion here has been VERY sophisticated. first was the season of potato sacks, next up came the diaper shorts, followed by the MC Hammer pants, and now the Chewbacca shoes.
    Haha this made me laugh quite hard because it is so true. Thanks for brightening up my day
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Unless mistaken, Virago is from Australia, so anything that is not wearing flip flops and flowery shirts/shorts is sophisticated maybe
    Such a stereotypical answer of what the Aussie bogan is! I deplore such grossly inaccurate information of what us Aussies are about.

Following is my typical fashion clothing that I used to wear in the office. Please note the stubby beer can generally be VB or Extra Dry but essential is the beer cooler as us Aussies are sophisticated and drink our beer slower.

Dmmos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i sincerely hope that you are joking, or do you include these potatoe sacks that some girls call a skirt as part of being sophisticated?
    When you mention potato sacks I don't know what you are referring to but probably not. As i said, 'compared to the rest of Asia, HK is quite sophisticated'.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Such a stereotypical answer of what the Aussie bogan is! I deplore such grossly inaccurate information of what us Aussies are about.

Following is my typical fashion clothing that I used to wear in the office. Please note the stubby beer can generally be VB or Extra Dry but essential is the beer cooler as us Aussies are sophisticated and drink our beer slower.

Your father is Mac Gyver?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Your father is Mac Gyver?
    See that thumb, you don't want to know where that has been!

Original Post Deleted
    Asia is Asia so if you want to add in developed or emerging into it then yes, outside of Japan, Singapore and maybe Korea then HK is down the list.

Curious, what are these Potato Sacks and Diaper pants you guys talking about?

Are the potato sacks those full-body pajama things with little patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Asia is Asia so if you want to add in developed or emerging into it then yes, outside of Japan, Singapore and maybe Korea then HK is down the list.

Why are you guys comparing Emerging vs Developed in regards to Fashion anyway? The only sense that the masses in Emerging countries are not "sophisticated" dressers is that as long as they have something to keep off the cold, they're sated. And I'm sure those who don't need to worry about bigger issues, like obtaining food/shelter, in those Emerging countries dress just as dumb as the rest of us.

Yea those Chewbacca shoes in HK are bad, but UGGs and CROCS from out west are just as disgusting.

I don't really notice what women here wear - except that their skirts seem to be jolly short and it must be freezing in this weather and airconditioned offices! And nothing seems to match, but then people tell me that's fashionable these days. I must say though, the chick wearing fancy wellington boots really was quite alarming.