HK Passport??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Depends on countries involved

It really depends on the two countries involved, and which one is your original citizenship. For example, I was born in the US, so originally a US citizen. I subsequently became a citizen of Australia, but was allowed to maintain my US citizenship also. But if I was born in Australia and wanted to become a US citizen, I believe I would have had to give up my Australian citizenship. It may be similar with HK - if you are born here you can become a dual citizen with another country, but not the other way around.

Cat & Mouse game

Considering I have a valid canadian passport i hope i should be able to enter HK. Not being a citizen of HK/PRC, i hope they will treat me as a foreign and as long as I have a real and valid passport, they shouldn't make a big fuss out of it, would they?

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Ordinarily the HK side shouldn't have a problem with a Canadian PP even if you also have some third country's PP. (I was referring more to the M and Sing side).

The Immi. Dept. knows my parents have Canadian passports, because they forgot their HKIDs once, and realised it until it was too late. They entered with them without problems. They were however, able to apply for HKSAR passport after. If you held Chinese nationality, then acquired another after, there is no problem, even if they know, they only recognize it if you sign a declaration. Doing it the other way around isn't possible, holding foreign then applying for Chinese. Entering on foreign passport, without renouncing Chinese citizenship, if you get in trouble, you are recognized as Chinese, they will only recognize foreign if you explictly declare it.

I hold BNO passport, US passport and SAR passport.

Quote Originally Posted by travelem:
    I hold BNO passport, US passport and SAR passport.
    Then at some point I believe you (like many others) must have made a false declaration. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Quote Originally Posted by berryplucker:
    Then at some point I believe you (like many others) must have made a false declaration. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.

maybe we should also talk about the advantages a passport from a certain country has over another...

if you hold a canadian passport like me...I don't believe there are any places we need to get a visa to get into...but if u hold a HK passport...you would have to get a visa to get into some countries....

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Passport

Starting from July 1997, Chinese citizens with the right of abode (ROA) in the HKSAR and are holding Hong Kong permanent identity cards, whether or not they are holders of the "British National (Overseas) passport" or "Hong Kong Certificate of Identity" or other travel documents, are eligible to apply for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hktraveldoc_1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fiana:
    if you hold a canadian passport like me...I don't believe there are any places we need to get a visa to get into...
    Really? What about:
    India
    Nepal
    Vietnam
    Russia
    Pretty well all the ex-Soviet Central Asia countries
    China
    Indonesia
    Cambodia
    Myanmar
    Bhutan
    Pakistan
    Australia

OK some of these are "on arrival" and Australia is electronic, but even so...

Having said that Canada is better than most, although I think the best from a "don't need visa" point of view is probably Singapore, which doesn't need one for China