HK life expenses

Closed Thread

Question HK life expenses

Hi,
    I am going to move to HK in april and i am really worried about the expenses, everyone here says that it's 10 times more expensive that beijing !!!
    Is it real ???
    Can you please let me know how much you guys pay ???
    I already have my appartment covered so it will be the usual expenses like transportation, food, movies, ...

Thank you for your help guys!!!

Ouinouin !!!

Travel shouldn't be that expensive. You can hold this down by living near your job. Really, if you need to have the big city night life and if you work on HK island, pick a place to live on the island. If you choose to commute from the Chinese border back to HK island that will cost you.
    Food, unfortunately, is as expensive as you want it to be. A cop-out answer, I know, but if you need to eat western brands that will cost a lot. Local brands are less expensive and wet markets even less expensive.

After accommodation there are people here living on less 5000 per month and people who claim they would struggle to live on 50000 per month. HK can be very cheap if you want it to be, but also very expensive if you are not careful.

I think it's like any big city. You go for 5 star or neighborhood.

Some things can be really really cheap like taxi's and McDonalds but many things are so annoyingly expensive such as nice hair salons, nice restaurants and bars. Clothes shopping non market is a shocker too.

I can't imagine it being much different in Beijing though.