Blue skies in HK????

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

It's definitely a pleasant surprise. The hills are green and the sky is blue with fluffy white clouds... I guess I was wrong... :-)

Well, not any more. The typhoon drags the air in back from China.
    Beijing is supposed to be an air pollution mess. Glad I am not planning to run an Olympic marathon there a year from now.

bleurgh, spoke too soon. It's a bit hazy and horrible in Tai Po today. My hills are grey smog today.

let's see what it's like tomorrow after the typhoon has passed.

Last edited by Pekkerhead; 08-08-2007 at 01:38 PM.

sorry guys for digging this post up... but thought it's better to do this vs. starting a new post.

not to be ur stereotypical complaining 'expat' (altho i'm not really one) but can I just say 'WOW' to the incredible nasty smog the last few days.... never have I experienced so much grayness in my life...not in LA and def not in NYC... what's going on?? is this typical?? is it gonna be like this till end of winter?? it looks like the end of the world out there... like the city is on fire and up in smoke... wow...

It is pretty bad. Although in SZ on Friday I as having the same thoughts and then it rained a little, so it might just have been the weather. There are a lot of typhoons in the area so maybe it's clouds?
    On the pollute-o-meter here we are giving it a .5 on a scale of 1-5 (5 being crystal clear).

I must say it is fascinating to look at the bay shrouded in mist, and the mountains and high buildings. It very pretty. The funny thing is if it is pollution it is the "healing" kind. Since I am here in the last 2 months my chronics sinus problem which I could not cure, have completely disappeared. How is this, glorifying and promoting the "fog, mist, pollution' or whatever this is????

Umm that isnt mist, not unless mist smells like burnt coal exhaust.. That smog you are seeing over the last few days is definately power generation pollution, from Lung Kwu Tan, I'd guess, being the main culprit until the wind direction changes.

Also Golly, if you are still living in Hong Kong by 2010, you can look forward to the Tsing Yi refuse incinerator starting up again... Won't that do wonders for the air visibility.

A problem that is begining to spell it out, 7 plus million people living on 1000km2 or 100 x 100km just wont work... The refuse dumps are at 98% capacity, HK is going to only get worse, as its already 5 times more polluted since 1997 handover, the British also banned the use of the existing abandoned incinerators back since 1994, due to the environmental impact, yet the HKSAR govt says its o.k to start them all up again....

And yes Golly, 70% of HK's year is hazy to varying degree's of visual severity.

We did tell you this before you arrived though, but you werent willing to acknowledge it, and used the "expats just complaining " mantra...

Maybe thats why the environments where you previously came from have improved, because people there, do complain....

Imagine how bad it will be in another 10 years, acid rain is definately going to be a reality, Black Forest 70's style, unless some authoritarian Govt regulations are introduced to clean their act up.....

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Thumbs down Polution is something we just grin and bare.

Name:  1P1130798.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  55.1 KB
    Check out the photo I just took from our roof top a few minutes ago, even as close as Pearl Island ( 5 past 12 position of the photo) which is less than a km away is hazy !

You can't even see the horizon, lantau, the airport, Tung Chung, its all blanketed by smog.

To think on a clear day we can see the Macau tower and the red neon Sands sign in the distance at night.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-09-2007 at 03:54 PM.

that's sick, I know, was spoiled by the first 2 weeks here...when it was clear blue skies - altho it is kinda weird, my sinus is also not bothering me...maybe my hongkong genes are kicking in )

are there environmental groups we can join or volunteer for?