Blue skies in HK????

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

is there an echo in here??

duplicate

sorry- didn't notice someone had already posted the exact same economist article...

Quote Originally Posted by nina_70:
    I have say it is pretty bad. I grew up in Hong Kong with clear blue skies (as a kid) and then came back some 20 odd years later to a much different environment. Being away for so long I really noticed the difference. Summer is better than winter due to the change in trade-winds. This past winter was pretty awful...my work takes me outdoors most days and there were a couple of days where I got physically ill. Now, it's gettig better and past week has improved. You will see blue skies more often in the summer-time.

There's alot of things about HK that are fantastic (nightlife, business, socializing, shopping etc...), but air quality is not one of them.
    World-wide Quality of Living Survey doesn't show air pollution, but it does take it into account - http://www.finfacts.ie/qualityoflife.htm

Hong Kong pollution is definitely worse than LA. NYC is better than LA. I was in Sydney the other week and could see blue sky from horizon to horizon - perfect. Hong Kong people don't understand that you can have a city with blue sky - they like to talk about how "foggy" it gets.

yuk, looking out of my window now and it's kind of grey-brown with the peak very much obscured from sight. It was as dark as night when it rained earlier. I'd love a bit of blue sky, or even a cloudy sky but where the clouds are the right colour!

A week or two ago the Economist had an article about Beijing pollution. Seems the government finally decided to admit it wasn't fog/mist/bad eyesight and had to publish newspaper articles about the word for pollution. The writer said some interviewees still refused to belive it was pollution.

I noticed minimal visibility when I visited HK in january.
    Is it very unhealthy to live in HK?
    I'm also moving next week.
    I Should ask more ? to my boss then...
    I'm goin to live less years

this is so upsetting. Hong Kong used to be such a beautiful city - with the harbor etc. Is there any initiaitves by environmental groups at all? Anyone trying to make a difference?

The government is racing to fill in the harbor and, whilst both Beijing and HK talk about the environment, they don't really seem to translate the talk into action.
    On the bright side, there are places in China that are tons worse than HK and the US had this problem up until the 1970s and fixed it so fixing it is possible. First step would be to stop building coal fired plants, then put scrubbers on the existing plants, then tighten up on the diesels. Except that would increase the cost of electricity, forcing some inflation and pay raises through the system, thus eroding China's economic advantage and fast-grwoing economy.

Just read where China sent its first yellow dust storm of the season over to Korea.
    This international loss of face is the only thing that stands a chance of prompting a Chinese move on pollution.
    Hopefully pollution is terrible throughout the Olympics and international condemnation pours in. Even if the skies are clear, I wouldn't want to be sailing off Yantai. That water can't be healthy.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast