Like Tree33Likes

Japan Expats moving to HK....should we let them in?

Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Then what are they then? Why aren't they staying with the locals and helping them rebuild their lives? You know, the very people whom they owe their fat pay checks to.
    Newsflash - lot's of them are send there by MNCs, which do pay them, not the locals. And it's those MNCs' that are moving the people around, many of them because their offices don't exist anymore or there is (currently) no need for their service. You should have read the article more carefully and not cherry-pick the reasons for your pathetic argument.

    I find it deplorable that these desert the locals in atime of crisis. It's not as though this is war or in the middle of a conflict.
    No, it's just a health risk, or a potential one depending on the area. Why anyone would worry about that is beyond me.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Newsflash - lot's of them are send there by MNCs, which do pay them, not the locals. And it's those MNCs' that are moving the people around, many of them because their offices don't exist anymore or there is (currently) no need for their service. You should have read the article more carefully and not cherry-pick the reasons for your pathetic argument.
    His point about expats leaving was legit. Tokyo is the place where most expats leave, not Fukushima. When HKIT mentioned about "rebuilding", he wasn't referring to directly donating money to rebuild cities of that sort. He was referring to staying and working in Japan to pay that sales/income tax so the government will have more resources to rebuild the country. Even if you're talking about Multinational companies, I'm certain a good percentage of employees requested themselves to be sent to Hong Kong. If they live elsewhere now, the circulating money lessened, thus the economy will weaken.

    Even if Multinational Companies pay them, the money comes from the locals there. The Japanese Government allowed the existence of these Multinational Companies.

    I agree w/ the health risk though. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to transfer back when things settle there.
    Last edited by Creative83; 04-04-2011 at 12:48 AM.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    725

    why not?

    As long as they bring their fat paychecks and stimulate the local economy why not?

    Its also good for MNCs that can have two big dogs in one office to see who is the best.

    If things go good maybe they might keep or expand their offices here and provide more jobs for the locals/economy.

    These people are "expats" and are here for the monetary means for the most part.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    His point about expats leaving was legit. Tokyo is the place where most expats leave, not Fukushima. When HKIT mentioned about "rebuilding", he wasn't referring to directly donating money to rebuild cities of that sort. He was referring to staying and working in Japan to pay that sales/income tax so the government will have more resources to rebuild the country. Even if you're talking about Multinational companies, I'm certain a good percentage of employees requested themselves to be sent to Hong Kong. If they live elsewhere now, the circulating money lessened, thus the economy will weaken.
    I see your point but HKIT was ranting about fat paychecks on the back of the locals; if that were a legit point the savings in salaries would be more than the taxes they pay, in which case it would be beneficial for Japan that they leave because then 100% of the money stays in the country.

    BTW: The article I hinted at, and which I assume triggered HKIT's post, was in today's SCMP and had a different drift than what HKIT is trying to convey.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I see your point but HKIT was ranting about fat paychecks on the back of the locals; if that were a legit point the savings in salaries would be more than the taxes they pay, in which case it would be beneficial for Japan that they leave because then 100% of the money stays in the country.

    BTW: The article I hinted at, and which I assume triggered HKIT's post, was in today's SCMP and had a different drift than what HKIT is trying to convey.
    No, I don't begrudge anyone earning huge money. It was more the loyalty I am referring to. These are the people that they work with daily, these are the people who look up to the expats as their "bosses" and whom they show deference. During these period, what does it look like to them that their superiors "ran away" leaving them to fend for themselves? This smacks of total disloyalty when they should be standing "shoulder to shoulder" with their employees in these tough times.
    It's not as though war had broken out.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,465

    Most of the fly-jins I know have children. Maybe it isn't easy for a kid like the OP to understand your world view changes when you have children, especially when it comes to nuclear power stations exploding in a country notorious for cover-ups. I know just as many Japanese who left Tokyo during the Fukushima crisis as I do gaijin who did the same.

    Some of my Japanese friends are still absent in fact - mostly holed in in Kansai - whereas the majority of the gaijin have returned by now.

    I do also love the conflation of "expat" with "boss" by the OP. Seems like he has a major chip on his shoulder for some reason

    Satay Sue and Dreadnought like this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941

    I saw the SCMP article yesterday too. I did think it was pretty rich that HK has changed the immigration rules/priorities (to fast-track expats leaving Japan so they would settle here) just for these guys. Actually I do have some sympathy for the OP's point of view. Unlike the misleading information provided above by TheBrit, there have been no nuclear explosions and the risks of staying in Toyko are minimal. It does send a terrible message to the locals, that those who "can" leave do; while those who cannot (ie the Japanese) have to stay. For those with children, who probably have fitted into Japan better than their parents since kids pick up languages faster, what life message are they teaching those children? If there was a real risk I could understand it; but just for the over-hyped fear risk, it's just cowardise.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,217

    Those of us who were here in 2003 will have memories of many HK-based expats showing the same loss of rational thought and urge to run away at the time of SARS. (Of course, this was not helped by the panic-mongering in the Hong Kong establishment.)


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941

    also it does occur to me that the health risks for those fleeing with kids are also pretty irrational. The risk to health of Hong Kong pollution (a real and tangible risk) is almost certainly higher than the risks of radiation. So they are probably exposing their kids to greater harm. Indeed the flight over here will expose the kids to a much higher dose than staying in Tokyo.

    Does hk really want people this stupid?

    Last edited by MovingIn07; 04-04-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Creative83 likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,465
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Unlike the misleading information provided above by TheBrit, there have been no nuclear explosions and the risks of staying in Toyko are minimal.


    That looks like a nuclear power station exploding, exactly as I posted.

    Very few people, especially foreigners trust TEPCO to be fully honest about the situation. All the experts said there was no risk of explosions, of significant radiation release and the situation was under control.

    Then the explosions happened, TEPCO clearly lost control (the sight of helicopters attempting to drop bucket loads of water was pitiful), it became clear the reactor vessels had cracked and radiation started showing up in food and drinking water.

    I am guessing most of the respondents on this thread don't have children, if they did they might think a little differently. Most people are not nuclear experts, all the initial analysis they trusted was shown to be completely wrong and when things started getting out of control they took themselves and their family out of the danger zone. I have a lot of empathy for this view, even if it isn't the same course of action I would have taken.

Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast