Like Tree33Likes

Japan Expats moving to HK....should we let them in?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Well in fact no, most of them died from the drugs that they were given when the medical establishment went way over the top in treatment regimes (*). But I believe the cause of death was officially listed as pneumonia, yes. That is what SARS was - just a label for a type of pneumonia.

(*) Source: Professor Yuen Kwok-yung, HKU Chair of microbiology, as quoted in the SCMP 9 May 2003: "He said most Sars patients died because of the serious side-effects of the steroids"

Moreover, there are dozens of people who were crippled for the rest of their lives by the panicked reaction and treatment, many of whom were subsequently found not to even be carrying the virus allegedly responsible for SARS at all! (The Government has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation and lifetime healthcare costs to this unfortunates.)
    Very interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Original Post Deleted
    Doesn't quite add up though. Firstly as a consultant, anything that creates change is good as it create work. So I should be loving this. Secondly, I don't have a single client in the nuclear power industry; indeed most of my stuff is coal and gas which is going to benefit from this. Again - no clue. Never mind, your trolling gives us all something to smile about.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Wow, talk about making assumptions about a bunch of people.
    Hey, have you heard of that saying about assumptions and you and me and all that? Its really funny, you should look it up.

BTW: We didnt go anywhere during SARS and it was great. We took our 3 toddlers to the (now closed) Times Square playground. It was the first time they had seen that playground without anyone else in it. We look at pictures during that time (all of us wearing masks) with certain sadness and fondness.
    While on topic of Sars, I recently found/came across the SARS memorial inside Hong Kong park. Nicely done and very sad to see and read inscriptions.

See, we were clever too along with 6.5million others who never left this beautiful city during the SARS hype.

HC
    HKITperson likes this.

It's a good chance for HK to catch some highly skilled experts, which then brings in more tax revenue for HK. That's better then unskilled immigrants from China which are on social welfare from day 1 after they enter HK.

Last edited by flameproof; 04-04-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Well, Brit, seeing I am the top guy here and NO expats. Your Post as usual is full of Bull.
    Last edited by HKITperson; 04-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Wow, talk about making assumptions about a bunch of people.
    Hey, have you heard of that saying about assumptions and you and me and all that? Its really funny, you should look it up.

BTW: We didnt go anywhere during SARS and it was great. We took our 3 toddlers to the (now closed) Times Square playground. It was the first time they had seen that playground without anyone else in it. We look at pictures during that time (all of us wearing masks) with certain sadness and fondness.
    While on topic of Sars, I recently found/came across the SARS memorial inside Hong Kong park. Nicely done and very sad to see and read inscriptions.

See, we were clever too along with 6.5million others who never left this beautiful city during the SARS hype.

HC
    You nearly got a "Like" from me.

Ii understand where you coming from but on the other hand, the departure of expats from Japan may actually alleviate the burden on the infastructure a little for the time being which is a good thing.

Those of us who were here in 2003 will have memories of many HK-based expats showing the same loss of rational thought and urge to run away at the time of SARS. (Of course, this was not helped by the panic-mongering in the Hong Kong establishment.)
    I wasn't in HK during that time but from what recall in the news there was a real risk of spread of disease from SARS. Considering HK is an ideal petrie dish for SARS with the congestion and warm climate, i'd be one of those irrational thinking people.

SARS was largely a media creation. Here are the statistics for deaths due to pneumonia (of all types) for the years 2001 to 2010. I've mixed up the order. If SARS was such a big deal you'll easily be able to identify which of these figures relates to 2003 won't you?

4201 4978 5486 5312 5723 3026 3194 3877 3676 4291

To make it easier (since the population is growing and aging) here are the age-standardised rates per 100,000 of population:

34.4 38.2 40.3 37.1 38.4 32.4 32.3 37.6 33.5 37.3
    You're citing from the wrong statistics. Your stat is the effort of mass sterilization of the city and everyone's effort to stay home and wear a mask.

Here are the real statistics of what SARS is all about and why even the World Health Organization stepped into the case.

Feb 26 was the very first case of a patient identified with SARS in Hong Kong. 45 days later, 1000 people were infected from the very first case, including a few front line doctors who have subsequently passed away.

You also need to understand microbiology in order to understand the magnitude of what it could have become.

I feel so bad about the Government & the media not getting credit for their effort. Instead, they were labeled as people creating hypes. People who didn't go outside are considered paranoid / irrational instead of contributors of those who help prevented a disease from spreading exponentially.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast