Like Tree4Likes

Getting a Teaching Job in HK for a Pakistani

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    No, it would be useless... Proper teaching qualifications for secondary schools and/or Master's or PhD in a relevant area for post secondary...
    Thanks, so what exactly is a proper teaching qualification?

You have to pardon my ignorance, since over here we call MEd a teaching qualification.

There are different names for teacher qualifications in various countries. At the end of the day though, it's roughly a year of courses on methodology, evaluation etc... followed by practicum in a classroom under the supervision of a qualified teacher.

That's what the Education Bureau will be looking for to give you accreditation to work in HK.

Thanks a lot!!

Just one last thing, I am trying to understand whether that bit about knowing Cantonese was a gibe at me or is it a pre-requisite to get a teaching job/visa?

No doubt learning the language of a country where you are residing is beneficial, but is it an absolute must as Bryan seems to be suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Bryant - why so rude?
    rude, maybe it comes accross that way in type, I just wanted to give a reality check - blimey, I even stuck a smiley face on the end!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5maa:
    Thanks a lot!!

Just one last thing, I am trying to understand whether that bit about knowing Cantonese was a gibe at me or is it a pre-requisite to get a teaching job/visa?

No doubt learning the language of a country where you are residing is beneficial, but is it an absolute must as Bryan seems to be suggesting?
    I wouldn't say it's a must but you have a combination of things against you including no Cantonese, I assume. If you were qualified and had a bit of experience then maybe no problem.

On a practical note, why not ring the international schools and ask to speak to their HR Depts. Tell them about yourself and see if they would recruit you based on what they hear...that's what I'd do..

And good luck :-)
    Last edited by bryant.english; 08-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I wouldn't say it's a must but you have a combination of things against you including no Cantonese, I assume. If you were qualified and had a bit of experience then maybe no problem.

On a practical note, why not ring the international schools and ask to speak to their HR Depts. Tell them about yourself and see if they would recruit you based on what they hear...that's what I'd do..

And good luck :-)

Thanks Bryant.

I actually tried to do that via email, but none of the schools responded. So I guess calling them would be a better option

Thanks again and sorry if I sounded rude in my earlier reply.

90% + of expat including teachers speak very little cantonese even after spending years in HK so it's really not an issue and the people hiring you in an international school will often be those same expats. As a matter of fact, some international schools will discourage/ban the use of cantonese in order to promote the use of English amongst students...

For post secondary institutions, you would more likely face local interviewers though it would not be expected that you speak the language. Of course, they would be impressed if you did...

ecy5maa likes this.

Thanks Giles!!

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    90% + of expat including teachers speak very little cantonese even after spending years in HK
    This is true, got me 2 international school teachers living right next to me and dont speak a lick of Canto.