Prescription Drugs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Prescription Drugs

Can anyone tell me the process for continuing to obtain prescription medications in Hong Kong? We will be moving there in February, and my wife is concerned that she won't have her necessary refills available.

Does she show her current prescriptions to a HK Doctor and have the doctor re-prescribe, or what?

Many thanks,

Entity

some things are available in mail order from the US. a very cheap and reliable service

<deleted URL ... sorry .. no can do>

hek

You call that website cheap?! Yikes. I guess it depends on what drugs your wife needs, but in our experience when you go to the Dr. here, they have their own pharmacy and give you the drugs right then and there. She would probably have to see a Dr. here with her previous Dr. records.

You would have to get a local doctor you rewrite the prescription for you. Having said that... you're also likely to find a pharmacy in your neighbourhood which may bend the rules.

Bend the rules? Last time i checked, the pharmacy told me most drugs are available to buy, I believe they said, only psychological or mind altering drugs such as ProZacâ„¢ requires a prescription... I could be wrong.

exactly .. they were bending the rules

Rather more things are available without a prescription in HK than in some other places (for example, most antibiotics are available from pharmacies without a prescription, thereby giving HK one of the highest rates of drug-resistant infections in the world). I can't find a simple list of what does or does not require a prescription here, but the relevant legal schedule is here: http://www.justice.gov.hk/blis_ind.n...b?OpenDocument As I understand it, anything on that list (which is the generic names, not the brand name) would require a local prescription.

You can also check whether your particular preferred brand of a drug is licensed for sale in HK here:
    http://www.psdh.gov.hk/pharmsearch/index.jsp

Last edited by berryplucker; 31-07-2004 at 02:49 PM.

You do need a prescription for antibiotics, as Shri said many pharmacies bend the rules and hence the problems we have here because people do not take the full course, stopping the antibiotics when the symptoms only seem to have cleared up.

The second link you gave is really useful, thanks

I stand corrected - since the practice of selling antibiotics was so widespread I just assumed it was legal. Of course the law says not, here:
    http://www.justice.gov.hk/blis_ind.n...8?OpenDocument
    I wonder why no efforts are made to enforce this law?

Are most North American prescription drugs available (ie>>oral contraception)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast