toiletries etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool toiletries etc.

hey everyone,

i'm moving to hong kong in june, so its time to make all the final arrangements etc.

i was just wondering (this is a question especially for the girls out there): are there any toiletry products you girls find difficult to find in hk and especially bring back from wherever home is?

If you had asked this question 7 years ago I would have sent you a LONG list but now things are relatively easy to find. The point is the longer you are here the more resourceful you become to know where to go to get what you need. If your lifestyle/working schedule is full on and does not allow you time to go out and get what you want then I would say pack at least two or more of everything you use.

The following are what I have learnt overtime:

Gateway (store) in Sheung Wan on Connaught Rd. is a short walk from Sheung Wan MTR has bulk size of both food and toiletries.

Fanda (store) in Central (I think it is on Pedder Street - a short walk from Central MTR exit D) has Branded Items and is well priced with great customer service.

Mannings and Watsons, both expensive, compared to BonJour, Sasa and Angel (well priced but a bit more than Fanda and branded items.) These stores are everywhere!

Over the years I have learnt that Japanese stores with Japanese products have way more in the toiletry area than I could ever imagine possible.

I have fair color skin that is sensitive so I the only place where I can find hypo allergic foundation - is at the Clinque counter at the Watson's in Tsim Sha Tsui at the Nathan Road/Haiphong Rd intersection - Tsim Sha Tsui MTR exit A.

I tend to suffer from seasonal allergies (mostly due to the pollution) I have learnt the US brand Claritine is Clarytyne.

Last edited by Alby; 04-05-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Deodrant is the only thing I still get from the US. I like the invisible ones.

Bath & Bodyworks Shower gels.....body cream and antiseptc hand lotion and foot cream.... darn.....

thanks, you guys have been a great help!!! what about hair products? i have really thick curly hair that i think will go very frizzy over there from the humidity... will i be able to get shampoos/conditioners/gels/mousses etc. for my hair type?

Hi Hobbit - to be honest the toiletries issue really depends on how loyal/wedded to a specific brand you are. For example I know I love John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette shampoo and his Frizz ease serum (so amazing for frizzy hair - especially in this humidity), however I also know that I can't find his products in HK for some reason. This is not to say that many name brands aren't available here, it's just that you may want to stock up on certain products that you know you can't do without or don't want to find a substitute for (although this would be v. easy to do here - they do sell hair products for all hair types) in case they don't sell that particular brand in HK. Really it all depends on how flexible you are and many find this not a difficult area to navigate after shopping around a bit. Hope this helps!

And also like what is said if u really cant live without a certain item best to bring them in or get yr countrymen or women to DHL or Fed Ex to u on a regular basis....

Cheers and welcometo HKG

Ha ha, quite a funny thread.

Its seems its actually us guys who are having some problems getting "products" in HK as opposed to the women.

i have Aussie Mega shampoo brought from canada. same with deoderant, i can't stand the stuff they have here.

i also bring my toothpaste (love my close-up!)

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Its seems its actually us guys who are having some problems getting "products" in HK as opposed to the women.
    You are so right, varieties of anti-perspirants are so limited here and yet its so hot. Skincare for men is frankly a disgrace (at least they have nivea). And shampoo dont get me started why no aussie products. And I import my hair clay no matrix or at least the really good stuff.

I love hong kong but wish boots would do overseas deliveries.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast