Like Tree146Likes

Staring at people normal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    46

    Anyway, thank for the comments. So staring is not normal. Sorry if I sounded narcissistic or posting an ad. haha I just wanted to know!

    here's weird culture shocks I experience.
    1. you will get in trouble to taking a picture of yourself in the pool.
    2. people don't usually say "excuse me" they just bump in to you.
    3. it's not necessary to tip
    4. many people wear face mask if they are sick
    5. young couples like to make a scene in public - ew, get a room!

    but staring is not a custom. I'll keep living and exploring and ask you guys if it's normal or not. =) thanks!


  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,442

    comments.

    1. that's a bit weird. never heard of that.
    2. yes, and if you bump into them they are off before you can say anything.
    3. just like Australia.
    4. i think this is a good idea. Better than a population that is healthy wearing masks!
    5. yes..eewww!.


  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    971

    people burp in the office as well and we don't flip an eye lid coz we're used to it.


  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    comments.

    1. that's a bit weird. never heard of that.
    2. yes, and if you bump into them they are off before you can say anything.
    3. just like Australia.
    4. i think this is a good idea. Better than a population that is healthy wearing masks!
    5. yes..eewww!.
    I agree with all of the above, though can't really comment/agree with point3, because never been to oz.
    Btw virago, eww is such a girly expression, doesn't suit you .
    virago likes this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    15,171
    Quote Originally Posted by cyreneq:
    Anyway, thank for the comments. So staring is not normal. Sorry if I sounded narcissistic or posting an ad. haha I just wanted to know!

    here's weird culture shocks I experience.
    1. you will get in trouble to taking a picture of yourself in the pool.
    2. people don't usually say "excuse me" they just bump in to you.
    3. it's not necessary to tip
    4. many people wear face mask if they are sick
    5. young couples like to make a scene in public - ew, get a room!

    but staring is not a custom. I'll keep living and exploring and ask you guys if it's normal or not. =) thanks!
    Lets see:

    1. Were you naked?
    2. True, you just push back at them. They tut and give you a weird face, you ignore them
    3. If you get a happy ending, then yes you should tip. Otherwise no need
    4. They are sick (also there is a big surgical mask fetish in HK).
    5. Yeh, sorry about that, mistress was a bit horny.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    people burp in the office as well and we don't flip an eye lid coz we're used to it.
    Yep, I have a female colleague who is nice otherwise, but, she lets out a burp that'd make the ppl from my village do a double take.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

  7. #27

    I often get this but its not in a dirty, disgusted or perverted way (I don't think) its literally in a blank way.
    My partner NEVER notices it though which makes me feel paranoid/silly. Sometimes I stare back to see if I'm being crazy and they do the quick turn face/divert eyes away motion so you KNOW they were staring, other times they continue without any emotion or response which is usually when I start to laugh!
    If I were the adventurous type, I'd pull a crazy face at them to see their reaction but to date I've not given into my urges

    I'd like to think its because I'm super hot/cute but honestly, I think these people are just trying to work out where I'm from and aren't very subtle about it.

    jayinhongkong likes this.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,442
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Btw virago, eww is such a girly expression, doesn't suit you .
    Being cool dude!

    Also trying to talk like the younger generation. Ummm, did i just say that??? eeww!
    Last edited by virago; 16-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,259

    ............

    virago likes this.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    150

    They don't let people take pictures in pools because there are too many perverts around taking pictures of girls under water. Google and you'll find plenty of them. I quite like this policy.

    One crazy culture here is guys with professional cameras taking pictures of girls everywhere. I'm not only talking about the "models" promoting phones or whatever in Mongkok or "comic" convention. Once I went to shek o beach and there were a group of guys, all with SLRs and super long lens, just sitting in the middle of the beach to take pictures of everyone! Totally made me sick!

    People wearing masks when they're sick is better than people coughing and sneezing everywhere. Masks were not that common before SARS. It's a good habit if you ask me.


Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast