Like Tree146Likes

Staring at people normal?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyreneq:
    I've been in hongkong for 2-3 weeks now and I've noticed I've been getting a lot of stares. I'm asian also, so I should blend in right? I wear normal clothes - ones I bought from here. Do honkong people have a radar that knows I'm not from here?

One time I was walking with my uncle and my uncle said that one guy nearly fell off his bike staring at me. I look normal, I'm not Caucasian (white), I'm not too tall, nothing special about me, so I'm wondering if this is the culture?

Sometimes I just stare at them back until they look away. Should I smile at them and say hi?
    Hi Cyreneq. I am moderately attractive, but not in any way outstanding, and I constantly am aware women are staring at me. Some I presume do it as I am a foreigner, but some looks are on the other exteme entirely sexual. Any male in HK who walks around Central will notice it. The philippino helpers are the worst, looking at your eyes, crotch, and then back up at your eyes. I was even pinched on the bottom oncw by a group of helpers.

Personally, this does not bother me. I think you are very safe in HK. Basically if you are attracted to the person giving you the stare, you could give them a nice smile and say hi, but of course this is not necessary.

Can you post up a picture of yourself. I will be easily able to determine if the stare is because people find you attractive. (and also specify your age).

Also, remember that in HK, many women desire to be stared at. Indeed, looking phisically and sexually appealing, is for many HK women the most important thing. So they woudl be disappointed if no one stared at them. As you are not from HK, you may not fully realize that, but this is how it is in HK culture. Whether as an office lady, or a girl nightcubbing in LKF, ladies in HK like to look appealing and be an object of desire to men in HK.
    chris_beef likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JT06:
    One crazy culture here is guys with professional cameras taking pictures of girls everywhere. I'm not only talking about the "models" promoting phones or whatever in Mongkok or "comic" convention. Once I went to shek o beach and there were a group of guys, all with SLRs and super long lens, just sitting in the middle of the beach to take pictures of everyone! Totally made me sick!
    But even the guys in Mongkok with professional cameras taking pictures are to say a little weird?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    Also, remember that in HK, many women desire to be stared at. Indeed, looking phisically and sexually appealing, is for many HK women the most important thing. So they woudl be disappointed if no one stared at them. As you are not from HK, you may not fully realize that, but this is how it is in HK culture. Whether as an office lady, or a girl nightcubbing in LKF, ladies in HK like to look appealing and be an object of desire to men in HK.
    And there it is. That was totally worth the wait.

I think we have all been waiting for Chateau {s}expert opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    Can you post up a picture of yourself. I will be easily able to determine if the stare is because people find you attractive. (and also specify your age).
    You can get a few glimpses of her here, chateau

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    You can get a few glimpses of her here, chateau
    Don't encourage him!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    Don't encourage him!!
    Why not!!!! Please give one reason he shouldn't be encouraged?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Why not!!!! Please give one reason he shouldn't be encouraged?
    He's a perv?
    luckycat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    He's a perv?
    Well, I think he provides {w}holesome entertainment around here...

Anyways this thread is about OP and not Chateau...

The OP is an exchange student (I think) and probably having a great time here in HK studying.

I don't think she wants pervy old men commenting on her looks and requesting photos etc.

But, it is comical though!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast